Is The Way I Set Up Tails Safe?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Anonymous011

Is The Way I Set Up Tails Safe?

Post by Anonymous011 »

First time poster. I am not knowledgable enough to know what to search for on the forums so I apologise if this has been covered in another thread.

So I've been trying to do the standard way of using Tails where you boot from a flash drive or HD card but had no luck. I followed all the instructions, tried doing everything several times while trouble shooting and making some changes but still my VM would not boot from the flash drive. I am not looking for answers about this however because chances are I would tried what people will be suggesting. Instread I want to know if the settup I stumbled across by accident is as safe if I was starting my VM Tails from an external drive.

After I was exausted from trying to get the normal settup to work, I started my VM without any flash drives plugged in and my VM then started booting Tails. I'm not savy enough to fully understand why but here are the settings of my VM that mention Tails or may have something to do with the settup:

Under the system tab my first boot option is Optical

Under the storage tab, where it says Controller: IDE, under this is tails-amd64-3.8.iso

Under the shared folder tab, the tails-amd64-3.8 folder has Full Access

This means that Tails is instead using the iso on my PCs HDD rather than any external device, right? So is this as safe as the normal Tails to VM settup? I want a very secure settup.

Any help would be very apprecaited :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Is The Way I Set Up Tails Safe?

Post by socratis »

Can you boot from the ISO? If not, delete the VM and start a VM from scratch and stick to the defaults of a Debian-64bit template.

And please describe what you want to do, because it's still not clear to me what is it that you want to do. Not how, what...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Anonymous011

Post by Anonymous011 »

I just want to know if booting from the iso on my PC is as secure as booting from the iso on a flash drive?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You are NOT booting your real computer from the ISO, you are booting a virtual computer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Anonymous011 wrote:I just want to know if booting from the iso on my PC is as secure as booting from the iso on a flash drive?
I don't even understand the assumptions behind the question. I can't see how it can make any possible difference to security, what drive a file is read from. The question is what is done with the data, not what drive the data is read from.