Mouse Clicks Lost after upgrade from FC27 to FC28

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pdxChen

Mouse Clicks Lost after upgrade from FC27 to FC28

Post by pdxChen »

I upgraded from Fedora 27 to Fedora 28 a week ago. I run a Windows 10 guest in Vbox 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.10.1).
Since the upgrade, mouse clicks failed to register in Windows 10, after a while after I logged into
Win 10. It seems to be okay if I booted back into previous 4.16.15-200.fc27 kernel. Though occaissionally the problem also
happened in this kernel too but very infrequently. But I never got mouse working for extended time
with the 4.17.3-200.fc28.x86_64 kernel.

I noticed that when the mouse click failed to register, it also failed to register on my chrome browser running on host.
Once I shutdown the VM, the mouse clicks started to register again.

I suspect it has something to do with mouse integration and the mouse event is sent to the wrong place.
Anybody has seen this or has a work around? Is there some regression in Vbox going from 4.16 to 4.17 kernel?

Thanks.
Last edited by pdxChen on 4. Jul 2018, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
pdxChen

Re: Mouse Clicks Lost after upgrade from FC27 to FC28

Post by pdxChen »

I forgot to mention that the mouse cursor is fine and move around okay. The only problem is with mouse clicks not registering.
I am on a Lenovo T470 system. The issue is the same whether I use the trackpad or a usb mouse.
pdxChen

Post by pdxChen »

I noticed that when the problem occurred, virtualbox actually thinks that my mouse is at some other location, even though the mouse is moved and the mouse cursor moves along. I got a case where the mouse click froze and the click reistered itself in the virtual box "File" icon on mini menu which I could see the click causes the "File" on the virtualbox mini menu to flash. However, my mouse cursor is actually somewhere else.
pdxChen

Post by pdxChen »

The virtual box mini menu may be the source of the problem causing mouse clicks to go to the wrong place. After disabling the mini ToolBar from my user interface settings, I haven't seen lost mouse clicks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

pdxChen wrote: Is there some regression in Vbox going from 4.16 to 4.17 kernel?
I know there were issues fixed in 5.2.14 in relation to the 4.17 kernel (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17801). See if upgrading to the official 5.2.14 addresses the issue.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pdxChen

Post by pdxChen »

I can confirm that upgrading to the official 5.2.14 and also the extension resolved the lost mouse clicks when using 4.17 kernel. Also the bug with the mini tool bar also seemed to go away too.
pdxChen

Post by pdxChen »

When I run things longer, I still occassionally have the mouse clicks captured by the mini tool bar and losing the mouse clicks which I've also seen for 4.16 kernel. Work around is to disable the mini tool bar.
Mark5000

Post by Mark5000 »

UPDATE: I found that just logging out of Fedora 28, then back in, fixes the "mouse-click not working on client windows, but works on system menus" issue. No need to log into any other desktop, as suggested by my post below. I'll leave this post here, in case anything contained therein serves useful to anyone. Disregard all references to Gnome. I'm still not confident that the log out-then-back-in resolution will persist for very long.
----------------------------------

I *might* have solution for you. I found a solution to a very similar issue.

My set up is inverted from yours, yet I was having the same mouse issue after updating Fedora. I'm running Win10 on the host, and Fedora in the client. Mouse clicks worked perfectly on the host, but didn't make their way to the desired window in the client. 90% of the my client desktop windows would not respond to clicks, yet the system menus would still work fine. The other 10% of the time, both would not respond. The mouse would always move around just fine and there were no problems with the keyboard. This seems to have started when I did a full update of the Fedora OS. When the mouse did work, which it would for about a minute, or so. Immediately upon opening yet another window, I would lose mouse clicks, but usually not on the system windows/bars, just my client apps. I also noticed improper handling of windows' z-order. That is, while the mouse-clicks were working, clicked on windows would drag around just fine, but would remain behind other windows. I only observed this occurring with google chrome, however. This suggested a windowing bug on Fedora's end. I'm running three VirtualBox clients Fedora 26, 27, and 28 (I'm migrating them all to F28.) I was running VirtualBox 5.2.12 at the time.

Each time I updated Fedora on one of my Fedora clients (26, 27, & 28) the problem was introduced. Seeing as this was a UI issue, I immediately blamed VirtualBox, and updated to 5.2.14, the most recent update. The problem persisted. This suggested that the problem may lie with Fedora, rather than VirtualBox. A perhaps important note is that I have always used the LXDE desktop. In an effort to troubleshoot, I logged in using the Gnome desktop for the first time on each machine. The mouse worked perfectly in Gnome. When I went back to LXDE, the mouse-click issue was magically resolved. Logging into the Gnome desktop just one time fixed my problem. I'm not sure if this only worked due to initialization occurring on the *first time* login to Gnome, or if it being the first log in is irrelevant. For the time being I'm chalking this up as a Fedora desktop management issue, rather than VirtualBox.

I see in these forums that similar issues are popping up on Ubuntu. My gut feeling is that this is related to the move from X to Wayland, and perhaps the VirtualBox guys having to chase a moving target. This also jives with what others have been experiencing updating to the 4.17 kernel.

On a side note, my Fedora 28 box was the only one on which I had to install the Gnome desktop using something like dnf groupinstall gnome-desktop, or maybe it was just dnf groupinstall gnome. You will have to google that, if you need to try that. However, be warned. On the Fedora 28 system, which was the only one I had to install the gnome desktop (it was already there on my F26 and F27 systems), I've had boot crashes since I installed the Gnome desktop on that system. The others already had it installed and are now working without issue. So, if you go playing around with installing the Gnome desktop, please back up your data first. I was lucky, and was just configuring a fresh F28 install, and could simply reinstall without loss.

Please let us know if this works for you. Do you mind sharing which desktop are you using, or if you have ever logged into the Gnome desktop?

Thanks.
Last edited by Mark5000 on 8. Jul 2018, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
pdxChen

Post by pdxChen »

Mark5000, I think there are more than one issues for this problem.

Issue #1 is the virtualbox extension for 5.2.12 did not work well with Linux kernel version > 4.16. I saw it in the virtual box extension code base that it was fixed in 5.2.14 to accommodate kernel interal interface changes for 4.17 and later. See (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17801). So when I upgraded to 4.2.14, 4.17 kernel in FC28 starts to work for me.

Issue #2 is the incorrect capture of the mouse click events to the mini tool bar. I saw that occassionally when I click on the virtual box mini tool bar (e.g. on File), even when I move the mouse away, the mint tool bar entry flashes indicating that the mouse click was still registered with the mini tool bar and didn't move to new cursor location. This happened for both virtualbox 5.2.12 and 5.2.14, even with 4.16 kernel. The work around for me is to just disable the mini tool bar in my settings. I think there is still a bug in virtual box redirecting the mouse click to the mini tool bar, even when the mouse cursor has moved away.

So after updating to virtualbox to 5.2.14 (both virtuabox and virtualbox extension), and disabling the mini tool bar, I have not seen the lost mouse clicks again and Windows in Virtualbox is working normally now.

I have a Fedora 28 host running Windows 10 in virtualbox. I'm using default Gnome 3.28 from FC 28. I run Virtualbox in seamless mode.

I have been running Fedora 27 that uses Wayland without problems. So I doubt that this problem is because of Wayland. You could try to remove the mini tool bar in your settings to see if that fixes the problem for you. Make sure you update your virtualbox extension to 5.2.14 too as that's where the fixes are to issue #1. But you have a Windows host so your issues could also be entirely orthogonal from mine as I run a Linux host.
pdxChen

Post by pdxChen »

FWIW, the problem of mouse clicks not working once minitool bar is clicked is still there in FC29 running 4.19.6-300.fc29.x86_64 and running Virtual Box 5.2.22 r126460.
Still have to do the work around of disabling minitool bar.
mariolino

Post by mariolino »

Still happening in F31 with VB 6.0.14
xodiac

Post by xodiac »

Was having the same issue with a fresh installs of Fedora 33 Workstation (host) and Virtualbox 6.1 (guest didn't matter). I would lose the mouse click after either switching the guest to full screen and then trying to use the mini bar.

So I decided to try running Gnome on Xorg instead. It seems to have resolved the issue for me. I've switched back and forth several times and still get the issue with Wayland but never with Xorg. Hope it stays this way. We'll see.