Errors setting up VM's on Kubuntu 14.04

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dwlamb

Errors setting up VM's on Kubuntu 14.04

Post by dwlamb »

I wish to test various flavours of Linux derivatives on a workstation running Kubuntu 14.04 before upgrading. After going through the steps for creating a new VM, Guru Meditation halts the process and provides an error log (see attachment).

Not having a lot of skills for troubleshooting VirtualBox, I've gone through the log and can't determine the problem. Can someone offer help, please?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Guru Meditation Error log
(39.13 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Errors setting up VM's on Kubuntu 14.04

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 4.3.36_Ubuntu r105129 linux.amd64 (Jan 27 2016 12:09:06) release log
That's 1) ancient, 2) the Ubuntu forked version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.
00:00:26.016819 !! Guru Meditation -1668 (VERR_PGM_INVALID_CR3_ADDR)
For the history only, this is the Guru Meditation that you're getting. I didn't even go through the rest of the log. Not planning to, until you've addressed the 1st point of my reply...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.