Microphone not functioning correctly inside VB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DrOctavius

Microphone not functioning correctly inside VB

Post by DrOctavius »

Hi, for some reason my microphone is not working correctly inside virtualbox but is working fine on my normal OS. i have w7 on my comp and ubuntu on my virtualbox. Microphone works fine on skype outside of virtuaalbox but once i try using skype in virtualbox, person i'm calling can't hear me, i've played around the settings including changing the microphone source in skype settings but still didn't help, also i inputted a command i found online to access sound levels and increased the microphone tab up to the highest as it was 0 and am just running into issues, i don't understand why my mic is causing so many issues and noto working. I've tried other factors and it's not skype that is the problem in VM, it's my microphone. Any help is appreciated thanks, i'm new user to linux/ubuntu.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Microphone not functioning correctly inside VB

Post by socratis »

VM Settings » Audio » Enable Audio Input. Is that thing enabled? Because it's disabled by default for new VMs, so it's kind of easy to miss.

If that's enabled, then:
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DrOctavius

Post by DrOctavius »

'The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB.' when i try add the file, alternatively i'll upload the txt file to online site for you to view. I've pastebinned the logfile for you to view. >
Last edited by DrOctavius on 26. Jun 2018, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Or, you can pay close attention to what the instructions say ;).
I put it in bold, bold red, bold red underlined! How did you miss it??? Let me try something else:

ZIP IT!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DrOctavius

Post by DrOctavius »

I did read it, my zipping program or whatever you call it was not functioning correctly thus i opted to go the alternative route.
Regardless i've now fixed it and uploaded zip file, thank you for your assistance.
Attachments
virtualmachine1-2018-06-26-08-59-26.zip
zip
(25.16 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
DrOctavius

Post by DrOctavius »

Hi any help on this issue? thanks
DrOctavius

Post by DrOctavius »

Hi can i get some help please? i've been having this issue for a month aand i've tried everything and my last resort is to ask for help on forum.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

DrOctavius wrote:Hi can i get some help please? i've been having this issue for a month aand i've tried everything and my last resort is to ask for help on forum.
Just remember, this is a user to user forum and anyone who gives you any help is doing so out of their spare time not because they are paid to do so. Jumping up and down trying to get attention is likely just to alienate people!

As you appear to still be running v5.2.8 I would try upgrading to the latest 5.2.12 or try the latest Test Build as there has been lots going on with the audio subsystem.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
DrOctavius

Post by DrOctavius »

Hi, i think the issue may have to do with pavu audio or w/e it's called, basically the audio software for ubuntu/linux, i don't think it's installed properly or something. Any help is appreciated, thanks! even when i'm in discord i can hear the sounds of discord but not when someone is talking on the microphone, same issue in skype. Can't seem to hear other people or they cant hear me.