number of cores, after move to a new pc

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bobptz

number of cores, after move to a new pc

Post by bobptz »

Hi

I cloned a physical SSD drive from a I5 pc (4 cores) to a dual core (2 cores) pc.

Virtual box and guest machine works perfectly on the new dual core pc. The problem is in the settings of the guest machine. When I go to Settings -> System -> Processor it still displays that there are up to 4 cores available. It should say only 2, right? So when I slide the indicator to 3 or 4, VB complains that this is an invalid setting.

How can I rectify this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: number of cores, after move to a new pc

Post by mpack »

You cloned which physical drive? If you are talking about the system drive of an installed host OS then it's the incorrect configuration of the host OS that's the source of your problem.

AFAIK, VirtualBox doesn't store the specs of the host CPU anywhere, it just asks the host OS. So the host OS must be giving it the wrong answer - which is not good news for the stability of your host. Of course at some point VirtualBox must be checking the actual CPU and finding a mismatch.

I very much doubt that this topic belongs in "Using VirtualBox". What is your host OS?
bobptz

Post by bobptz »

mpack wrote:You cloned which physical drive?
I cloned the physical SSD of a I5 Dell laptop and placed it in a dual core ACER laptop. I used clonezilla, which is supposed to take care of UUIDs etc. The cloned system seems to work fine.
mpack wrote:What is your host OS?
The host OS is Ubuntu 16.04.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bobptz wrote:...from a I5 pc (4 cores) to a dual core (2 cores) pc...
...it still displays that there are up to 4 cores available. It should say only 2, right?
No, not really. It depends on other factors as well, for example if Hyperthreading is available or not.
bobptz wrote:So when I slide the indicator to 3 or 4, VB complains that this is an invalid setting.
That's because you have two cores, four threads. If you go over the number of physical cores, VirtualBox warns you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "Linux Hosts".
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

bobptz wrote:I used clonezilla, which is supposed to take care of UUIDs etc.
Well, UUIDs don't have much to do with this. I'm thinking there is a configuration file or driver on your host which provides an abstraction layer for the CPU.