Hold space-bar+left-click not working in Adobe

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tuxicoman

Hold space-bar+left-click not working in Adobe

Post by tuxicoman »

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to setup a Windows 10 VM on my Xenial laptop in order to use Adobe XD.
I made sure that both the host and the guest machine are up to date and installed the Guests Additions.

My issue is that, in Adobe XD, the Space+Left-Click functionality to drag the work-space around doesn't work.
I can see the cursor changing to the "grab-hand" for a sec and then starts flickering between the regular cursor and the hand.

As to am able use the mouse for dragging an object, I suspect the issue to be related to the keyboard inputs.
Also, the other key+mouse combination surch as Shift+Left-Click or Alt+Left-Click (but those are modifiers keys, not characters).

VirtualBox: 5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2
Host: Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 (64 bits) - 4.4.0-128-generic
Guest: Windows 10 (64 bits)

Any idea on how I could get this to work?

Thanks!
Tuxicoman
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hold space-bar+left-click not working in Adobe

Post by socratis »

Have you tried searching for that error independently of VirtualBox? A quick search reveals a lot of hits for that kind of behavior. Especially with trackpads! Start by looking into that, I've seen several workarounds in a 2' search...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tuxicoman

Post by tuxicoman »

Hi Socratis,

Yes i have, but none of the results have helped me so far.

The issue occurs with both USB mouse and integrated trackpad.

To further diagnose the problem:
- I tested Adobe XD's space+click on a native windows 10 install (dual boot on the same machine) and it works.
- I also tested space+click in Gimp on my ubuntu instance and it works.

I suspected the palm detection to be messing with me but why would it work outside VirtualBox?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Does it work if you attach a mouse and not rely on the trackpad? It may be your hosts' trackpad software and how that's "passed on" to the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tuxicoman

Post by tuxicoman »

Hi Socratis

I tested that as mentioned in my previous answer and i didn't work (or do i miss-understand what you suggest?).

I have also tried deactivating the trackpad while the USB mouse is active and that didn't solve it either.

I am using libinput to handle my input devices.

Cheers
Tuxicoman
tuxicoman

Post by tuxicoman »

Also, just messing around with the XD in Virtualbox, I noticed that that if, while I hold Space, I hit an arrow key, the flickering stops and I can use the drag pan functionality on click (without needing to hold the arrow key after).

It looks to me as it is more on the keyboard side, and not on the mouse side that the events are sent wrongly to the VDI.

I checked that the host and the guest are set with the same keyboard layout (English US).