upgrade, compatibility of vdi

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
veki

upgrade, compatibility of vdi

Post by veki »

I use VirtualBox version 4.2.18 r 88781 on host OpenSuse 12.3 kernel 3.7 10-45 with Win7 Ultimate as guest. I want to upgrade on OpenLeap 42.3 with the latest VirtualBox. Are there any precautions regarding cinmpatibility fo formats of wdi file?

Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 14. Jun 2018, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: upgrade, compatibility of vdi

Post by socratis »

WDI file? What's a WDI file?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:What's a WDI file?
I believe it may be a WirtualBox Disk Image! :D

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
veki

Post by veki »

Indeed, I want to make sure that .wdi file will be successfully imported by new version of Virtual Box for Linux hosts.

Thanks
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The disk image file has a .vdi extension (apologies if my attempt at humour in my previous post failed) and there shouldn't be any issues with the disk images when you upgrade VirtualBox.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
veki

Post by veki »

OK. Thanks, I will report you I will have any issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, it's VDI (Virtual Disk Image), not wdi. I'll change all the thread's titles to reflect that.

Second, you don't "import" the VDI, not alone. Your VMs are made of the "recipe" (the .vbox file) and one or more virtual hard disks, the default is VDI. You should be asking about compatibility with the VM (all of it), not just the hard drive.

To answer your question, there is no problem upgrading from 4.2.18 to 5.2.12. Just make sure that you have the official VirtualBox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
veki

Post by veki »

Oh. Sorry on typo. Should I firstly do upgrade fo Linux and after that upgrade of VirtualBox. I suppose that it will take care on necessary files that It will find in respective folder including .vbox. Is there any manual on that procedure?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No "procedure". Upgrade your Linux, upgrade VirtualBox. Done.
You don't need a "manual" for that... ;)