A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been s

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
-JK-
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly Ubuntu

A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been s

Post by -JK- »

I got a Guru meditation dialog this morning when I tried to start running yesterday evening successfully saved VM.

The VM freezed before starting to run. Even the desktop clock time is from yesterday.
Nothing special was going on in the VM on yesterday evening when I saved the VM. I was running a couple of chrome instances.
Because of the two earlier similar freezes I saved and started the VM yesterday couple of times without any problems.
I did not suspend the host during yesterdays successful tests. Yesterday evening after saving the VM (and running backups) I suspended the host - that is at least one difference between successful and unsuccessful save - start VM.

This freeze has happened now on three mornings, only today I got the Guru error dialog.

Host and guest are running Ubuntu 16.04, VB is 5.2.12. I haven't done any HW changes for months. So far VB has been working fine.

How can I fix this? Thank you for your support.
Attachments
VB hang error attachements 2.tar.gz
VB log files
(117.18 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has be

Post by socratis »

-JK- wrote:The VM freezed before starting to run. Even the desktop clock time is from yesterday.
Well, that's the general idea of "freezing"... ;)
-JK- wrote:Because of the two earlier similar freezes
You've been having these issues in the past?
-JK- wrote:I haven't done any HW changes for months.
00:00:00.492575 OS Release: 4.4.0-127-generic
00:00:00.492575 OS Version: #153-Ubuntu SMP Sat May 19 10:58:46 UTC 2018
I bet you can't say the same for software updates.
00:00:23.898213 !! VCPU2: Guru Meditation -1642 (VERR_PGM_PHYS_NOT_MMIO2)
That's the error you're getting. And that's got to be one of the rarest Guru Meditation errors ever seen. A quick search reveals absolutely zero results, if you don't count the source code references.
00:00:00.548724 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000002100000 (34 603 008, 33 MB)
00:00:23.494290 GUI: UIMachineView::sltHandleNotifyChange: Screen=0, Size=3824x2060
Please max out the amount of VRAM given to the guest.
00:00:00.548538 [/Devices/ahci/0/LUN#0/Config/
                Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/Parent/]
                (level 14)
Nine (9) snapshots? Don't you think you're overusing/abusing the snapshot feature? And given the fact that you have opted out for the split 2G VMDK option (WHY???), for a hard drive that's split into 51 pieces, that means that you have more than 450 open files at any given moment in order to "map" your hard drive correctly!!! Are you trying to make the VM fail on purpose?

I would get rid of the snapshots and consolidate/clone all of them, at the same time as getting rid of the 2G-option for the VMDK and opting for the native VDI. Clone the VM, current state only.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
-JK-
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Mostly Ubuntu

Re: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has be

Post by -JK- »

Thanks for your help!

I normally have only 1 to 3 snapshots so I deleted extra snapshots and since that I have not had the same error.

When I decided to abandon WMware Workstation and take VirtualBox instead of that I decided to use 2G split disk because of the VM disk backup operation speed. Typical VM run only updates few of those 2G disk parts while majority of them are not modified. Nowadays I use different backup solution https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/ so the 2G split files are not so important anymore.