[WorksForMe] debian iso not booting on ubuntu host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Pseudonym

[WorksForMe] debian iso not booting on ubuntu host

Post by Pseudonym »

Running CentOS, Ubuntu & Fedora guests fine. Tried 4 separate debian isos. Verified the hashes. None of them boot. Just keep getting 'no bootable medium found'

ISOs boot on Windows host

I could really use some help. Thanks
Pseudonym
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jun 2018, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: debian iso not booting on ubuntu host

Post by andyp73 »

Can you post a link to the ISO that you are using as I have never had any issues booting Debian network boot ISOs.

It might also be useful to see the log file for the guest to make sure it isn't reporting any issues or errors. Right click on the guest and select "Show log...", save the first log, zip it and then post it here.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Pseudonym wrote:'no bootable medium found'
Check your settings again. "No bootable medium" found has never been wrong.

Oh, if you want to continue, you'd better give some more details than "computer", "VM", "bootable", "error"... That sounds like a limited Twitter post, when you have all the freedom in the world to post complete details about versions, revisions, builds, errors, logs, etc...

PS. I deleted your duplicate post. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed, it's not good etiquette...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pseudonym

Post by Pseudonym »

andyp73 wrote:Can you post a link to the ISO that you are using as I have never had any issues booting Debian network boot ISOs.
I can't use the network boot isos, as it's a non-networked lab machine in work. I tried all of these isos http://mirrors.m247.com/debian-cd/9.4.0/amd64/iso-dvd/ plus an alpha build of the new one. I also downloaded each version from a different mirror.

I'll get the log file tomorrow morning, but I did have a look at it a week or 2 ago and it didn't look like there was anything useful in it. Thanks for the reply, i'll get the log for you tomorrow.
Pseudonym

Post by Pseudonym »

socratis wrote:Check your settings again. "No bootable medium" found has never been wrong.
I've been working on this for a couple of weeks on and off. What settings are you referring to? Virtually all of the VM settings are set to default, besides where the iso is attached in the IDE controller.

I can get more details about versions etc tomorrow. This was a last resort post right before I left work for the day, tired.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

HEADER.html wrote:Initially, you will only need to download and use the first image of a set (labelled as debian-something-1 to be able to start the Debian installer and set up Debian on your computer. If there are more images available here (labelled debian-something-2, debian-something-3, etc.), they contain the extra packages that can be installed on a Debian system (as mentioned previously). They will not be bootable and are entirely optional.
Emphasis mine - hopefully you are only trying to boot from the first one.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Pseudonym

Post by Pseudonym »

Also, now that I've installed Debian on my Windows host. Might it be possible to use the VDI from this machine on my Ubuntu host?
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

Yes, details are in FAQ: Moving a VM.

-Andy.
Pseudonym

Post by Pseudonym »

andyp73 wrote:
HEADER.html wrote:Initially, you will only need to download and use the first image of a set (labelled as debian-something-1 to be able to start the Debian installer and set up Debian on your computer. If there are more images available here (labelled debian-something-2, debian-something-3, etc.), they contain the extra packages that can be installed on a Debian system (as mentioned previously). They will not be bootable and are entirely optional.
Emphasis mine - hopefully you are only trying to boot from the first one.

-Andy.
Hang on a minute. I think I may have tried 2 & 3 on the Ubuntu host. I initially downloaded the ARM64 version of number 1 accidentally, & okay.. I actually remember reading that you only need to use the first iso now.

I've just installed 1 on the Windows host as well. That's probably why it booted.

Wow, I'm sorry for this. I usually don't go out of my way to post on forums. I prefer to find the answer myself, but I feel pretty silly now. Let me try that first iso on the machine tomorrow.

Thank you so much if this works. It was beginning to get quite annoying.
Pseudonym

Post by Pseudonym »

Yeah. The iso was the problem. Thanks for all the help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Pseudonym wrote:Yeah. The iso was the problem. Thanks for all the help.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.