kernel error on fedora 28

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
smj41

kernel error on fedora 28

Post by smj41 »

I just install virtualbox on my Fedora28 Linux system and when I try to start on of the guest systems I get the following error.........Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I am not sure of what or how to proceed.....thanks in advance for any assistance
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: kernel error on fedora 28

Post by socratis »

smj41 wrote:I am not sure of what or how to proceed
I believe that the error message already contains the instructions, read it again carefully:
smj41 wrote:Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
  • '/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
smj41

Post by smj41 »

I tried to run the command but nothing, I am fairly new so am not sure if I am doing it right, I ran /sbin/vboxconfig in the terminal as root.......and when it gave me an error again and said to check the /var/log/vbox-install there was nothing written in the log.....I am at a loss right now so if you can get this old man to do things right I would appreciate :shock: ......
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

smj41 wrote:there was nothing written in the log
Are you sure about that? Can you run the command again and double check? Make sure you are looking for the correct file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
smj41

Post by smj41 »

I must have been looking in the wrong log.....this is what is in the "var/log/vbox-install.log, sorry about that mistake and oversight on my part.....does this help, I also pasted the "terminal" results....thanks for any assistance you might give that will let me get vbox to work on my fedora28 OS

Code: Select all

make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
Makefile:978: *** "Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel".  Stop.
make: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:101: vboxdrv] Error 2
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.16.12-300.fc28.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j4 modules

[smj41@localhost ~]$ su
Password: 
[root@localhost smj41]# /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.
[root@localhost smj41]#
Last edited by socratis on 2. Jun 2018, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

smj41 wrote:please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel
You should read the errors more closely, there are hidden messages! ;)

I remember I had to do this too, it's a result of the Specte/Meltdown screw up situation. I did a:
  • 
    dnf install libelf-dev libelf-devel elfutils-libelf-devel
but only the two out of three could be found, can't remember which ones, don't worry, it will proceed...
smj41

Post by smj41 »

thanks for assistance, followed you thoughts on the dnf and it was the elfutils-libelf-devel in the list, all seems up now, I just need to take time and read more about using it.....thanks again for your assistance I really do appreciate :D it
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No problem. If by:
smj41 wrote:I just need to take time and read more about using it
you refer to VirtualBox itself, and since you sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps. There is also a PDF searchable version of the User Manual at '/usr/share/doc/VirtualBox-5.2/UserManual.pdf', included with your local installation.