host-only adapter stays down

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RichardR

host-only adapter stays down

Post by RichardR »

On a new Linux host, (kernel 4-16.13) running VirtualBox-5.2.12, the host-only virtual network adapter is not working. (On an older Linux box, with same version of VirtualBox it works without issue.) All of the following is on the Linux host, not any guest:

I have set an ip and netmask in VirtualBox's Host Netwrok Manager using "Configure Adapter Manually" Then "ip addr" shows:

Code: Select all

10: vboxnet0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 0a:00:27:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.15.1/24 brd 192.168.15.255 scope global vboxnet0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
Which is correct.
I can run "ip link set dev vboxnet0 up" and not receive any error, but "ip addr" still shows the link as being DOWN, see above.

In /var/log/messages, sometimes (but not consistently) I receive the following message:

Code: Select all

kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): vboxnet0: link is not ready
But in the Host Network Manager I left the IPv6 Address blank and the IPv6 Prefix Length is 0

Any ideas on getting host-only networking working ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: host-only adapter stays down

Post by socratis »

RichardR wrote:All of the following is on the Linux host, not any guest
Are you trying to bring the HostOnly up for what exact purpose, if you don't have any guests running? What are you trying to do? And why?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.