Failed to start Light Display Manage

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Juanky.7

Failed to start Light Display Manage

Post by Juanky.7 »

after installing Parrot OS 4.0.1 in Virtualbox.
Restart and I have this message "Failed to start Light Display Manage"
execute the commands:
systemctl enable lightdm.service
and it is not solved
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to start Light Display Manage

Post by socratis »

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Juanky.7

Post by Juanky.7 »

to validate that it is not an OS problem, install in VMWARE PLAY, and you do not have problems
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I do not have VMWare, I'm on OSX. But I'll try your Parrot OS and see what's going on. Do you have a download link for the ISO?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Why did you had to pick the big one? :(
I'm downloading it, but it's going to take some time. In the meanwhile, can you give me a VBox.log ZIPPED, from a complete VM run?
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. get it to the point that you see the message.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Juanky.7

Post by Juanky.7 »

ok send file
Attachments
ParrotOS 4.01-2018-05-23-14-09-23.log.zip
VBox.log
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I thought that the instructions were simple and clear enough:
socratis wrote:With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved)
But you didn't take the log after the VM was shutdown. Here's how your log ends:
00:01:28.096002 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDING' to 'SUSPENDED'
00:01:28.096018 Console: Machine state changed to 'Paused'
This doesn't necessarily mean that you Paused the VM, but it definitely means that you took the log before the VM window was closed. Can you try again?
Juanky.7

Post by Juanky.7 »

ok check
Attachments
log.zip
(46.81 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

We are not communicating. You now included TWO logs, one where you save the VM state, and one where you restore the VM state and you shut down the VM.

This is not what I'm asking for. Please read the instructions again! Twice!
Juanky.7

Post by Juanky.7 »

ok send
Attachments
ParrotOS 4.01.log.zip
(23.24 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Something is wrong with Parrot, and I believe that you need to talk to them. Even their own instructions don't work!

The "Parrot-security-4.0.1_amd64.iso" shows the same symptoms like you're describing:
[FAILED] "Failed to start Light Display Manager"
The "Parrot-home-4.0.1_amd64.iso" however, 1) doens't boot in LiveMode, and 2) if you install it, it does boot, but it gets stuck later on:
[  OK  ] Started Disk Manager.
[  OK  ] Stopped Light Display Manager.
         Starting Light Display Manager...
[  OK  ] Started Light Display Manager.
[  OK  ] Reached target Graphical Interface.
         Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.
According to their website (Features table), Parrot 4.0.1 is based on "Debian 10"(?!?), which is still under development.

I'm going to try something older. Their instructions reference "Parrot 3.2". Unfortunately, the oldest one I could find is 3.11 (https://archive.parrotsec.org/parrot/is ... _amd64.iso). Downloading and trying...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The Parrot 3.11 version seems to work as intended. I guess it has to do with the Debian10-based option that 4.0.1 has gone with. It's still in development, and I suspect it will eventually be supported, if it turns out to be a VirtualBox issue.