VB-Error "Failed to open the disk image file" Win 8.1 on Solus Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Free

VB-Error "Failed to open the disk image file" Win 8.1 on Solus Host

Post by Free »

Hi,

I have a Solus 3.9997 Budgie OS on a Xeon E3 v3 Machine.
To virtualise Windows 8.1 64bit I created a static .vdi on a separate SSD.

When I run the VM I see the output: "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted."

I supposed I have to insert a .iso into the Optical Drive so i tried to put a "Win8.1_Pro_N_German_x64.iso" from Microsoft in, because I have a European Windows 8.1 Professional License I plan on using in the VM.
A Error Message opens up:" Failed to open the disk image file"

- I tried to put the .iso in from the Solus Download Folder, and from the NTFS Formatet SSD for the VM too.
I always get the Error Message.

My knowledge is limited, I just need to run Affinity Photo and Designer in the VM basically, so help would be appreciated a lot. I also added the VM Details, the Error Message and 4 log files in the 7zip File.
Attachments
VBoxLogs.7z
(35.13 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Virtualbox-Error.png
Virtualbox-Error.png (56.75 KiB) Viewed 7328 times
Virtualbox Win 8.1 Details.png
Virtualbox Win 8.1 Details.png (81.45 KiB) Viewed 7328 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB-Error "Failed to open the disk image file" Win 8.1 on Solus Host

Post by mpack »

The error message means that the ISO file does not contain a bootable image. What it contains instead I cannot tell you. I suggest doing an MD5 checksum comparison with the host of the original ISO.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

"Failed to open the disk image file"
Did you try to attach an ISO file as virtual harddisk?
Free

Post by Free »

Martin wrote:"Failed to open the disk image file"
Did you try to attach an ISO file as virtual harddisk?
This is my first attempt to create a VM, so rookie mistakes by me are likely.

I created a Hard Disk .vdi with 112 GB on a separate 128 GB NTFS SSD.
I tried to load the ISO File into the Optical Drive of the VM.

The ISO File is directly from Microsoft. However my knowledge about ISO Files is limited too.
Do I have to do something with the ISO File to make it bootable? Because when I create a bootable LinuxLive USB Device I can't just copy the ISO File on the USB Drive. I have to use a tool for the creation.
Attachments
Virtualbox-OpticalDrive.png
Virtualbox-OpticalDrive.png (54.44 KiB) Viewed 7307 times
Free

Post by Free »

mpack wrote:The error message means that the ISO file does not contain a bootable image. What it contains instead I cannot tell you. I suggest doing an MD5 checksum comparison with the host of the original ISO.
This is a bit over my head to be honest. This is my first try to create a VM.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Free

Post by Free »

Oki, I read the complete First steps thank you.

mpack wrote:The error message means that the ISO file does not contain a bootable image. What it contains instead I cannot tell you. I suggest doing an MD5 checksum comparison with the host of the original ISO.
Ok, I did the MD5 checksum and got this: pwa48d410a493ebec61dd198b1ffbec3a0 Win8.1_Pro_N_German_x64.iso
I don't know how to compare this now with the right host, because I downloaded the ISO directly from the Microsoft Website?

With my limited knowledge I now have to make a decision and would like to hear your recommendation.
I can
a) Install my DVD Drive to my Computer, put in my Windows 8.1 Medium, and pass it trough to the Guests System to try to install it.
b) Learn how to get Windows 8.1 installed without the DVD with just the Key and a ISO from Microsoft somehow.

a) sounds more easy to me
b) more fulfilling because i learn a easier way for the future, without huuking in my DVD Drive to get it done.

My questions for b) are:
1) Is it possible to use my Win8.1 license key with an ISO File I download from Microsoft?
2) How must I proceed to get an ISO or the ISO I have to boot properly?
Last edited by socratis on 22. May 2018, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Free wrote: I don't know how to compare this now with the right host, because I downloaded the ISO directly from the Microsoft Website?
Typically there will be a link you can click on the download site to get a list of checksums, e.g. SHAx or MD5 or both, for the downloadable files. You need to calculate a checksum and compare it with theirs. If your checksums match then you can assume that your copy is good.

Yours should not match since your ISO clearly is not good. Hence you'll need to download it again: and if the ISO is larger than 2GB then be very careful about which drives you copy it to, as not all drive formats allow huge files. E.g. external USB drives are often formatted as FAT32, which only supports file sizes < 4GB.
Free

Post by Free »

mpack wrote:Yours should not match since your ISO clearly is not good. Hence you'll need to download it again: and if the ISO is larger than 2GB then be very careful about which drives you copy it to, as not all drive formats allow huge files. E.g. external USB drives are often formatted as FAT32, which only supports file sizes < 4GB.
Thank you for the advice.

This brings me to another Question: What is the best File Format for the SSD the Windows VM File (.vdi) sits. Is it better to use the Host Format (ext4) or the Guest Format (NTFS)?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Free wrote:What is the best File Format for the SSD the Windows VM File (.vdi) sits. Is it better to use the Host Format (ext4) or the Guest Format (NTFS)?
The .vdi file (along with the others VirtualBox creates) are just regular data files as far as the host system is concerned - albeit that the .vdi file is likely to be the biggest single file on your host. I would stick with the native file system on your host - in your case ext4.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Free

Post by Free »

Thank you,
I changed it to ext4
Last edited by socratis on 22. May 2018, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.