LInux running on VM aborts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ubuntu_noob

LInux running on VM aborts

Post by ubuntu_noob »

Hi am a beginner in a linux as well as vm.I was trying to repo sync the android source code but the VM aborts after 30 mins or so.I have allotted RAM of 6.8 gb to VM and laptop ram is 8gb.Sufficent storage of 500 gb is also provided to VM.The logs are-
Attachments
attach.tgz
(54.15 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by ubuntu_noob on 21. May 2018, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: LInux running on VM aborts

Post by socratis »

Partial logs are not that helpful I'm afraid. Please ZIP and attach the full log. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
ubuntu_noob wrote:I have allotted RAM of 6.8 gb to VM and laptop ram is 8gb.
That may be your problem right there. You're allocating way too much memory for your guest and you might be starving your host! Use a System Monitor and keep an eye on the available RAM of your host at all times.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ubuntu_noob

Post by ubuntu_noob »

Thank you sir for the reply.I have made the changes.The reason I did a 6gb and 2gb partition was because the android source code says it needs atleast 8gb ram to compile.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Socratis was, as he mostly is, right about the RAM allocation. Your host (at the point the guest was started) had 6854MB free. You have allocated 6694 MB as RAM and 23MB as VRAM so you host is going to be seriously starved of resources.

Further, your Intel i7-5500U only has two cores so you will need to allocate one to the guest and leave the other for the host.

If you are contemplating compiling the whole of the Android source base then this isn't the machine to do it on particularly in the guest. I have a server with two 8 core Xeon processors in it with 32GB RAM and I get bored and through a whole lot of coffee waiting for a full build to take place.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.