[Solved] VMs backed up in Google Drive with Insync won't start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Tacuabe

[Solved] VMs backed up in Google Drive with Insync won't start

Post by Tacuabe »

@Socratis

I'm sorry to have included a duplicate post. Did not know that was not allowed.

I have installed version 5.2.12 and am still getting the NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) and my VMs won't start.

According to your last post an "All Distributions" version is the way to go. Downloaded "/home/hector/Downloads/VirtualBox-5.2.12-122591-Linux_amd64.run" but I'm not being able to make it run and install VBox. Tried sudo "./VirtualBox-5.2.12-122591-Linux_amd64.run install". No luck. Then added the full path "sudo /home/hector/Downloads/VirtualBox-5.2.12-122591-Linux_amd64.run install" and I always get "command not found". The same happens if I omit "install". What I'm doing wrong?

Will greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by socratis on 19. May 2018, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VMs backed up in Google Drive with Insync won't start

Post by socratis »

You need to make the ".run" file executable first:
  • sudo chmod +x "/home/hector/Downloads/VirtualBox-5.2.12-122591-Linux_amd64.run"
I'll check if there's a chance for the instructions to get updated to reflect that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tacuabe

Post by Tacuabe »

@socratis
Thanks for the tip. Dumb of me, I took for granted that the file was executable!

Installation went without a glitch, however it did not resolve the error. Here goes the text I copied.
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7 Pro.

The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}
For what's it worth, I'd like to point out that both VMs I want to open were backed up in Google Drive with Insync and subsequently downloaded into the same ultrabook I had been using for 2 years with Lubuntu 16,04, The machine is a Dell XPS13-9350 and both VMs worked flawlessly during that period. I wanted a clean install for 18.04 and therefore the backup.

I keep all my VMs in a file called "VirtualBox_VMs" in my home directory. They both have a Logs and a Snapshots folder. The last log a few moments ago reports:
00:00:00.528133 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={VM cannot start because the saved state file '/home/hector/VirtualBox_VMs/Windows 7 Pro/Snapshots/2018-04-11T22-44-55-600847000Z.sav' is invalid (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). Delete the saved state prior to starting the VM}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
I looked into the Snapshots folder and there is indeed a file with such name, however it appears as hidden (preceeded with a dot) and followed by ".insyndl". Removed both the preceeding dot and the final addition. Tried again with VB and got the same message. I finally deleted the .sav file completely to no avail. Same error.

Out of options for now. Will appreciate some directions.

Kind regards
Last edited by socratis on 19. May 2018, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Tacuabe wrote:Out of options for now. Will appreciate some directions.
Tacuabe, see if your own past thread can help you: Failed to start a moved VM
You had the exact same problem on 09/2016...

PS. I split your post. Next time please don't hijack other people's threads, especially if it's not the same issue, it makes moderation of the forums more difficult. It's easy enough to open your own thread...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tacuabe

Post by Tacuabe »

@Socratis

Once more, I'm sorry of what I did out of ignorance.

Thanks for putting me on the right track and for finding my old post with the correct solution. Seems my memory (at 82) is starting to forget some things.

Anyway, now everything is working as expected and I making a written note of the solution.

Many thanks for your good disposition and patience with yours truly!

Kindest regards

Hector AKA Tacuabe

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey Hector, glad you got it going, marking it as [Solved].
And KUDOS for your fighting spirit! 8)