cannot save settings (#17781)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bobptz

cannot save settings (#17781)

Post by bobptz »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17781: "Failed to save settings" for registered VM if HostNetwork or NATnetwork is not available in new host]
Hi

I have Ubuntu 16.04 host (64 bit) and a windows 7 guest (64 bit).

Recently I started having problem making changes to the settings of the guest VM. This is the error I get when I try to save the settings:

https://image.ibb.co/jSOHLd/vb_error.png

Any idea how to fix this?
Last edited by socratis on 21. May 2018, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: cannot save settings

Post by socratis »

Please attach images locally. Even better, COPY the error message and post the text. Much smaller, copyable, searchable.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bobptz

Post by bobptz »

ok, here is the error message attached.

It says:
Failed to save the settings

Empty or null host only interface name is not valid
etc etc...
Attachments
vb_error.png
vb_error.png (89.51 KiB) Viewed 15792 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

bobptz wrote:Recently I started having problem making changes to the settings of the guest VM.
What has changed on the host between when you last remember it working and now?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Go to the VM settings » Network. Check your network adapters, all 4 of them, even if they're disabled, to see that they don't point to something non-existent.

If they do, even if they're disabled (that's a bug soon to gain a ticket number), enable them, make the changes needed to make them valid and then disable them again.

If you can't figure it out, right-click on the VM, "Show in Explorer/Finder/something". ZIP that selected .vbox file and attach it to your response.

BTW, did you create that VM locally, or did you import it from another host?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bobptz

Post by bobptz »

socratis wrote:Go to the VM settings » Network. Check your network adapters, all 4 of them, even if they're disabled, to see that they don't point to something non-existent.
WOW! That was it! The second tab, although disabled, was attached to something. I made it "Not attached" and the problem is gone.

Thank you so much.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

bobptz wrote:although disabled, was attached to something
That's exactly what I referred to earlier as "that's a bug soon to gain a ticket number". I've discovered that issue when copying VMs between hosts. Although disabled, a previously configured HostOnly, or NATservice network, that doesn't exist on the new host, will trigger this bug. If the adapter is enabled, it will trigger a warning about the non-existent network. If it's disabled, it should definitely not react like that, but simply revert to "Not Attached".

I talked with the developers earlier this morning (since you actually reminded me to file that bug report), and I did point them to your post. They said that it's not a 5-minute fix, and I need to file a ticket, not to solve it over IRC... ;)
bobptz

Post by bobptz »

Thank you very much Socratis.

Ευχαριστώ!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: cannot save settings (#17781)

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:"that's a bug soon to gain a ticket number"
And the name of the ticket is ... #17781: "Failed to save settings" for registered VM if HostNetwork or NATnetwork is not available in new host