Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
changenickname

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by changenickname »

I have installed Virtualbox 5.1.34_Ubuntu r121010 from Ubuntu software center on QNAP Linux Station running Ubuntu 16.04 but i'm unable to run any VMs because Kernel driver is not installed (rc=-1908).

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/xW7rO5U.png

Iexecute the command but got another error.

Output:

Code: Select all

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:514 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/4.2.8/modules.builtin.bin'
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxdrv': Operation not permitted
Then I try Virualbox for 16.04 from official from the website and got same error and tell me to execute different command /sbin/vboxconfig

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/1My75TZ.png

Output

vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
depmod: WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/4.2.8/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/4.2.8/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
depmod: WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/4.2.8/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/4.2.8/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.
P.S I don't want to use Virtulization Station because it's horrible, slow and doesn't support GPU acceleration by a design.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by socratis »

changenickname wrote:I have installed Virtualbox 5.1.34_Ubuntu r121010 from Ubuntu software center
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
changenickname

Post by changenickname »

I tried the official version but got same error with different output

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/1My75TZ.png

Output

vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2018, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Can you post the output of the following commands:
  • uname -a
    ls -la /lib/modules
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

changenickname wrote:I have installed Virtualbox ... on QNAP Linux Station
I'm not sure if this is going to work. This is not a pure Ubuntu installation, is it? At least it doesn't look like it from their description:
You can choose what Linux system to use (such as Ubuntu add-on, Fedora add-on and Debian add-on)
It looks to me like they're running Ubuntu in a VM, and you're trying to do nested virtualization, a.k.a. not supported.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
changenickname

Post by changenickname »

I'm not trying to do nested VM. Linux Station runs on real hardware with shared kernel and QNAP system.. whatever. What I try to do is to try use Virtualbox on Linux Station that supports GPU acceleration and hope it runs faster than Virtualization Station, but I just have no luck having better experince with Windows VM on an expensive NAS machine :(

I already contacted regarding GPU acceleration on Virtualization Station but they told me only External GPU passthrough is supported on some models and internal GPU only used for Video Converting, but HD/Linux Station is also used that they didn't told me. I know this is possible, they just have no plans to work with new features that makes thing impossible to possible.

QNAP have root permission and SSH. I hope some experts can help me with this
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

changenickname wrote:I hope some experts can help me with this
If you want people to help you then you are going to need to start answering the questions that you are being asked. We don't live inside your head so we can't see what you see, we only know what you tell us.

Log files are always a help but if you can't actually get to starting a VM then there probably aren't any useful ones yet anyway. However, getting warnings about not being able to open certain files either means they, or the directories they live in don't exist, or that you don't have permissions to access them.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.