[WorksForMe] Win10 VM has web. Host Linux does not.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
FatherPhipps

[WorksForMe] Win10 VM has web. Host Linux does not.

Post by FatherPhipps »

Running Linux mint 18.3
Created a Win10 Pro VM
Got 50% of the guest additions iso to d/l and now the host OS cannot get to the net. Pings to router work, but pinging google or 8.8.8.8 fail. Inside the Win10 VM however, internet works fine.
Last edited by socratis on 13. May 2018, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win10 VM has web. Host Linux does not.

Post by socratis »

FatherPhipps wrote:Got 50% of the guest additions iso to d/l
You do NOT download the Guest Additions (GAs)[1]. They come bundled with VirtualBox. All you need to do is (with the VM having the focus) to go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD Image...". Done.

As for your Internet issues, did you reboot host and guest? BTW, you didn't even mention what mode you're using: Bridged, NAT, NATservice? You didn't mention your VirtualBox version, your didn't mention your Win10 version.

[1]: Why is everybody and their cousin download the GAs separately these days? You need to try hard to find them, there's a reason for that!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FatherPhipps

Post by FatherPhipps »

"Could not find the Virtual box Guest Additions disk image file. Do you wish to download this disk image file from the internet?"

Yes, I've rebooted both.

NAT

Virtual box Version 5.1.35

Windows 10 Pro
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FatherPhipps wrote:Virtual box Version 5.1.35
Problem #1. That's a test build and a rather old one. We're now at 5.2.12, or if you prefer the 5.1.x series, at 5.1.38. Please do *not* use your Mint repository, that's a forked VirtualBox. Instead use the official one from VirtualBox. If you follow the Linux distributions, you can find one appropriate for your host.

Remember to purge/nuke the previously installed VirtualBox prior to installing the new one. Merging forks and official versions doesn't go too well. Your VMs and your preferences will stay intact.
FatherPhipps wrote:"Could not find the Virtual box Guest Additions disk image file. Do you wish to download this disk image file from the internet?"
That's a first, I got to admit that! I don't know what to tell you, especially if I don't know the source of your VirtualBox...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FatherPhipps

Post by FatherPhipps »

The source is the default Mint package manager.
FatherPhipps

Post by FatherPhipps »

Kinda troublesome to do anything about it. Since virtual box has my connection to the web held hostage ATM.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FatherPhipps wrote:Since virtual box has my connection to the web held hostage ATM.
Even if you reboot your host and you don't even touch VirtualBox? Have you tried it?
FatherPhipps wrote:The source is the default Mint package manager.
And the default is the Mint fork. That's what I'm trying unsuccessfully to explain to you.
FatherPhipps

Post by FatherPhipps »

Yes. Even if I reboot and don't touch virtualbox.

Pings the router just fine. But not beyond.

Launch VM, and I can surf wherever.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FatherPhipps wrote:Yes. Even if I reboot and don't touch virtualbox.
Then it's not VirtualBox.

Something is really whacked in your setup. Uninstall VirtualBox. Install the official one.
FatherPhipps

Post by FatherPhipps »

Gotta be able to d/l it lol.
In the time it'll take to d/l via VM and transfer I'll have the VM backed up and mint reinstalled.
I will go through official channels to get Virtualbox, and post results.
FatherPhipps

Post by FatherPhipps »

Complete reinstall of mint. Installation of Virtualbox via website returned error after error. Installed it via package manager again. Imported the Win10VM. And internet works on both ends.
Wish I knew what caused this glitch.
But oh well.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FatherPhipps wrote:Wish I knew what caused this glitch.
Geomagnetic storms? ;)
Sometimes configs get out of whack and the only thing that can prevent the madness is a clean install. Glad you got it going, marking as [WorksForMe].