Android x86 Virtual Machines Crashing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
innarion
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Android x86

Android x86 Virtual Machines Crashing

Post by innarion »

Hi, I know Android x86 is not officially supported by VirtualBox, but until recently it worked just fine.

A few days ago I updated my Ubuntu Mate from 17 to 18.04 LTS

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Release:	18.04
Codename:	bionic

uname -a
Linux ideapad-700-15ISK 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Together with the system update, VirtualBox updated to 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 (I had 5.1.34 before) and my VMs (I only have various versions of Android x86) started crashing.
No matter if I start the machine normally or use a snapshot, no matter if I turn on an old machine or make a new one, it always boots and after a few seconds the window closes and the state of the machine in the menu is Aborted. This behavior is observed at all my Android x86 machines (all 64bit, I mostly use Android 6.0 and 7.0).

I attach a log of one of the VMs that crashed like this. I don't really understand what is going on in it.

All the VMs had 2 GB of RAM, 128 MB of video RAM, 4 CPUs (Intel i7) and 3D acceleration enabled. As I said before, with VirtualBox 5.1.34 and some previous versions Android x86 worked perfectly.

It there anything I can do about this?

Thank you for all your answers.
Attachments
log.zip
Log from VM that crashed
(18.88 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Android x86 Virtual Machines Crashing

Post by ChipMcK »

socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 linux.amd64 (Apr 26 2018 08:49:04) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.

There's even a way to add VirtualBox as one of your approved PPAs, (look in the Debian based distros), although I'm a more ... traditional type and I prefer the straight downloads. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
innarion
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Android x86

Post by innarion »

ChipMcK wrote:perhaps Windows 10 (1803) stop working after starting a virtualmachine
This wouldn't help -- I am on Ubuntu and the host OS is fine. What is crashing are just the VMs.
socratis wrote:... install the official version from ...
I tried to install the official version from the VirtualBox website (twice -- for Ubuntu and then for all distributions) but the behavior is still the same. The VMs crash after a few seconds of running normally, no matter what I do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Stick with the official one if you want to keep on having this conversation here.
  2. Try with the latest release 5.2.12, since it fixes several 18.04 issues.
  3. As you said:
    innarion wrote:I know Android x86 is not officially supported
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.