Scratchy Audio in virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mak-orion

Scratchy Audio in virtual machine

Post by mak-orion »

I am running virtualbox 5.2.10 on Ubuntu 18.04. Newbie on both.

I also installed genymotion for personal use and running a custom phone using it. The audio quality on custom phone is scratchy.
I tried changing audio settings in virtualbox:

Tried changing host audio driver from "ALSA audio driver" to "PulseAudio" but no effect. There is absolutely no sound when I use other drivers.

Tried changing audio controller but only "ICH AC97" works. No sound on others.
Please help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Scratchy Audio in virtual machine

Post by socratis »

The sound has known issues. Just search for "Audio" in the forums and the bug tracker. 81 open tickets during the last count, one of them will match your experiences.

Note that Android is not a supported guest, mainly due to the lack of Guest Additions, sound, networking, etc. Lots of thing don't work on an Android guest.

There's no point in having yet another thread about a well known issue. Locking this one, please continue in an existing thread or ticket.

PS: Genymotion is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Genymotion support channels.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.