Virtualbox GUI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JW8888

Virtualbox GUI

Post by JW8888 »

Hi,

I have been using Virtualbox on Xubuntu in both headless and GUI mode, however, possibly after recent system updates, I cannot start GUI of virtualbox management window or a VM gui. Headless mode can report that a VM is running, and I can save, start, pause a VM, but it doesn't appear to be working properly as I should be able to interact with the headless VM but cannot.

System:
Xubuntu - 16.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.10.0-42-generic x86_64)

Virtualbox - 5.1.34-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.2
If i try to start virtualbox from command line, I get:

Code: Select all

screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
or:

Qt FATAL: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display 
I have tried total removal of virtualbox and reinstallation, but no difference in results.

Any help much appreciated, thanks!
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Re: Virtualbox GUI

Post by JEBjames »

I suggest you attach a zip file containing the two log files: one normal start that works, and a headless that fails.

Is 3D acceleration enabled for this guest? If yes, try disabling it. Please reply with your results.
JW8888

Post by JW8888 »

vmlogs.zip
2 logs, 1 for headless & 1 for GUI
(23.6 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
I can't check if 3d acceleration is enabled as I can't open the GUI management window and I don't know how else to check... can it be checked/switched from command line??

I have attached log files
one normal start that works, and a headless that fails.
just to clarify: the headless start seems to run, or at least reports that it does from command line state check, its the GUI that fails

running

virtualbox
on command line gives:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Thanks again for your help
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.34_Ubuntu r121010 linux.amd64 (Feb  2 2018 12:27:46) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.

If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JW8888

Post by JW8888 »

ok, thanks for reply, will try askubuntu.