VirtualBox - CRC error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
nicolau

VirtualBox - CRC error

Post by nicolau »

Good evening,

I have a bug in Virtualbox that I can not find a solution. I use Ubuntu 16.04.01 64bit, I installed a Professional XP 32bit to only run a game not compatible with Linux.

It turns out that a CRC error appears when opening the game that does not happen if I use Vmware 12 on Linux Ubuntu but I opted for Virtualbox because it is lighter and faster. The same ISO xp installed in Vmware 12 works perfectly in Virtualbox no. So I would like to know if anyone had the error and got a solution.
I put the error image as an attachment.
Thank you.

Portuguese version
Boa noite,

Tenho um erro no Virtualbox que nao localizei uma solução. Utilizo o Ubuntu 16.04.01 64bits, instalei um XP Profissional 32bits para apenas executar um jogo nao compativel no Linux .

Acontece que aparece um erro CRC ao abrir o jogo que não acontece se eu usar o Vmware 12 no Linux Ubuntu mas optei pelo Virtualbox por ser mais leve e rapido. A mesma ISO xp instalada no Vmware 12 funciona perfeitamente no Virtualbox nao. Sendo assim gostaria de saber se alguem teve o erro e conseguiu uma soluçao.
Coloquei a imagem do erro como anexo.
Obrigado.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Apr 2018, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox - CRC error

Post by socratis »

nicolau wrote:a CRC error appears when opening the game
  • Is this error coming from the game, your WinXP or VirtualBox?
  • If you copy the files to the WinXP VM, and you run it from there, do you get that error?
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nicolau

Post by nicolau »

thanks for the feedback

1. error comes when starting the game in xp

2.the files are already in the VM, the game is installed in XP

3.Log made from the start of the machine, after trying to run the game and presented the error and turned off the VM. In the first line I put the download link of the game.

4. In the Annex follows the log
Attachments
Error CRC
Error CRC
screen.png (24.05 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
xp-2018-04-27-20-34-42.log.zip
Log of VM
(25.43 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

How is that a bug in VirtualBox? That's an error from the game, saying in effect that the game has been hacked. Nothing that VirtualBox does can change the contents of a file inside a guest, and that's the only thing that would change the file's CRC.

(CRC is a checksum, just like MD5 is a checksum: if you get a CRC/MD5 error then the file HAS been changed).

Perhaps the ISO you installed from was damaged. You can certainly check that.

Are you sure this wasn't installed from a copy of a copy protected CD? As the name indicates, copying a copy protected CD is usually unproductive.

If it's installed from an original CD then make sure Passthrough mode (in the VM settings for the CD drive) is enabled before installing.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I tried the game on my WinXP-32bit VM and it worked just fine, so let's see why it doesn't work in your VM.

Just like mpack said, the error message looks like something is corrupted in the game data. It could happen either during the download, the unpacking, or the copying of the files. Download the game again. For reference, here is the checksum for the "WarS_complete.rar" in my system, you should compare them with what you get for your file:
MD5:    3b2a7f7d62f5a07403ec3f293d390bdf
SHA:    2acbd5951447838ffc48ced306e61dea35050d1b
SHA256: c7fc95037982cf885cdbd709a69facc1d8f23bd43de7cad4766ebf71ed1e96b5
And some recommendations about your VM setup:
VirtualBox VM 5.1.24 r117012 linux.amd64 (Jul 17 2017 17:41:27) release log
00:00:01.384296 OS Version: #140-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 12 21:23:04 UTC 2018
That's quite an old version of VirtualBox, you should definitely update to the latest and greatest, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches. Just compare the dates for VirtualBox and your kernel and you'll realize that VirtualBox is seriously out of date.

See the "Linux Distriburions" in the "Downloads" page for your Ubuntu version. Make sure that you eject the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GAs) CD before you upgrade! And don't forget to update the GAs after you update VirtualBox.
00:00:02.029244 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
You will need to address/fix this. Your i5-2450M supports VT-x, so it's a matter of enabling it in the BIOS. See your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nicolau

Post by nicolau »

good evening
:(
First of all I thank the efforts of friends to verify my problem, I tried a year ago to install xp 32 bits only for this game that is a hobby. I made the suggestion of updating VirtualBox for version 5.2.10, I deployed the VirtualBox Guest Additions, installed the extension package and got another ISO of 32 bit xp I made the installation in both virtualbox and vmware 12 and downloaded the game inside of VMs and again only in Vmware 12 worked which discards error in the game file and in ISO.

Regarding motherboard manufacture bios really supports the VTx but I have no option to activate in the BIOS but this restricts me to only emulate 64 bit systems if I am not mistaken.

I even made a new attached log.

So I think that the attempts to use Virtualbox have been exhausted for this purpose.

Thank you.
Attachments
xp-2018-05-02-19-30-37.log.zip
(19.3 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nicolau wrote:bios really supports the VTx but I have no option to activate in the BIOS
You should 1) check to see if there are any updates for your BIOS, and 2) complain to your PC's manufacturer. As you said:
00:00:06.759552 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
As I said before, I downloaded and played the game (it was kind of difficult to figure out what was it saying in Portuguese, but I managed to create an account and logged in ;) ), so the game *can* be played in a properly setup WinXP in VirtualBox. It's a matter of enabling VT-x I believe in your computer. If you don't solve this, things are not looking promising...