Basic Questions before Hardware-Shopping

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
McGiggel

Basic Questions before Hardware-Shopping

Post by McGiggel »

Hello guys,

I want to build a small-office server for several users, so that I have a truly noiseless atmosphere when working with customers. Therefore I want to build a server + VDI + multiple workstations.
In addition, it is of high importance to create a resilient backup-infrastructure.

I want to build on an ubuntu-headless + 2 workstations, which can switch between Linux and Windows.

1. As far as I know, there is AMD MxGPU for hardware acceleration. Is there support for virtualbox?

2. How do I "send" my virtualized machines to a workstation?
- (if possible) if working with KVM extenders, how do I automatically assign a vm to a workstation?
- if working with thin clients (e.g. rpi3), how do I automatically assign a vm to a workstation?
- which of the above solutions is stutter/lag-free for 1080p/60hz displays?

3. I will probably create a non-persistent master-vm with shared-folders. How to load a user-environment automatically? Is that even possible?

I hope to hear from you guys, I am an amateur in terms of virtualization technologies.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Basic Questions before Hardware-Shopping

Post by socratis »

McGiggel wrote:As far as I know, there is AMD MxGPU for hardware acceleration. Is there support for virtualbox?
No.
McGiggel wrote:How do I "send" my virtualized machines to a workstation?
You do not "send" the VMs to the workstations, the workstations either run the VMs locally, or you have the VMs run on the server and the workstations connect to the server via RDP.
McGiggel wrote:(if possible) if working with KVM extenders, how do I automatically assign a vm to a workstation?
You assign each VM in a different RDP port. You should do it in any event, otherwise you're going to have a conflict and only the first VM would be visible. You then connect from a workstation to a specific RPD port for a specific VM.
McGiggel wrote:if working with thin clients (e.g. rpi3), how do I automatically assign a vm to a workstation?
See above.
McGiggel wrote:which of the above solutions is stutter/lag-free for 1080p/60hz displays?
Nothing that you haven't personally tried on your own network conditions.
McGiggel wrote:How to load a user-environment automatically? Is that even possible?
After you've customized the VM, you have the VM auto-login.

Have a look at the online User Manual (https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/), or the latest version in a searchable PDF format (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... Manual.pdf). As I said, it's searchable, so take advantage of that fact...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
McGiggel

Re: Basic Questions before Hardware-Shopping

Post by McGiggel »

thank you for your explanations!

After some research I think a diskless PXE + RAID 10 Host should solve the backup-problem.

As desktops are not that ugly anymore, a nice cube case should be "okay". (BITFENIX Phenom M Micro-ATX Arctic White)
Using a Ryzen 2200G should solve some noise problems.