[Resolved] Enabling 3D acceleration causes headless/detachable start crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
priv

[Resolved] Enabling 3D acceleration causes headless/detachable start crash

Post by priv »

I know 3D acceleration is useless in this condition, but I guess it should not crash the VM.

Environment: Ubuntu 14.04 + Virtualbox 5.2.10 + Windows 10 Guest

00:00:09.215266 ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={Failed to load unit 'vga' (VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:09.215343 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH, rc=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005))

Full Log is attached.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(38.42 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by priv on 30. May 2018, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Enabling 3D acceleration causes headless/detachable start crash

Post by socratis »

00:00:00.075968 Console: Machine state changed to 'Restoring'
00:00:08.810182 VMSetError: /home/vbox/vbox-5.2.10/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/SSM.cpp(8707) int ssmR3LoadExecV2(PVM, PSSMHANDLE); rc=VERR_SSM_LOADED_TOO_MUCH
00:00:08.810184 VMSetError: Failed to load unit 'vga'
00:00:08.954237 Changing the VM state from 'LOADING' to 'LOAD_FAILURE'
00:00:08.954292 Changing the VM state from 'LOAD_FAILURE' to 'POWERING_OFF'
It's not a "crash" per se, VirtualBox seems to know that something went wrong, and it shuts down the whole operation. My guess in order to prevent further corruption.
  • Does it happen at startup as well, or only when Restoring from a Saved State?
  • Was the Saved State from the same version of VirtualBox, or you saved the VM, upgraded VirtualBox and then you restored the VM?
  • Is this reproducible?
  • If yes, can you give us a step-by-step scenario?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
priv

Post by priv »

A pure start(not resume) in headless will also cause VM abort.

Attach the log for your information.

Since the crash point is during Windows boot/resume, it may also be some guest specific problem.

This is currently 100% reproducible on my environment.

If I checked 2D/3D acceleration and try to boot/resume it headless/deattachable, the VM always crash.
If I unchecked them, the VM will run normally.

A detailed reproduce steps cannot be given since it would requires clean install of VirtualBox/Windows Guest, I will update if I bother to do this.
Attachments
VBox1.zip
(26.62 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

On the first pass, I didn't notice something that really differentiates your Win10 from the "typical" installation:
00:00:00.167458 [/Devices/efi/0/] (level 3)
00:00:00.167459   Trusted <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
You're using EFI! I don't know why you did that, but I'm installing a Win10 1709 guest now in EFI mode, to see if I can replicate what you're seeing.

The other suspect that I have, is your graphics card/drivers:
00:00:00.163438 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Intel Open Source Technology Center
00:00:00.163460 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Desktop 
00:00:00.163463 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Intel is not exactly known as the most solid software producer in the world. Their software actually is known to be a ... ah, never mind, I promised I wouldn't be swearing in public. ;)

Any chances of updating that? Is it the "latest and greatest"™ that they offer? Any remote chance of trying a different GPU?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BTW, does the same VM start "normal"? Can you double-check?
priv

Post by priv »

socratis wrote:BTW, does the same VM start "normal"? Can you double-check?
Yes, "normal start" is always good.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I talked to the developers about the fact that VBoxHeadess crashing, while normal works (usually it's the other way around) without mentioning any details about your specific setup. Somebody mentioned:
Well, the only possibility I can see something like that happening, is if someone does something really stupid like enabling 3D acceleration for a headless VM.
:shock: Nailed it! :)

So, to paraphrase their diagnosis, do not enable 3D acceleration. You may be right, it shouldn't crash, but I guess if a known workaround exists, the priority of addressing this are not that high (if you know what I mean).
priv

Post by priv »

Hi,

I've got a broken arm so couldn't get back soon.

Thank you for confirmation again.

Regards,
priv
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Resolved] Enabling 3D acceleration causes headless/detachable start crash

Post by socratis »

priv wrote:I've got a broken arm so couldn't get back soon.
Yikes, I know the feeling! :?
Hope you are back up and running soon...