[WorksForMe] Unstable virtualmachine?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Evan.ova

[WorksForMe] Unstable virtualmachine?

Post by Evan.ova »

After booting up one of my virtual machines (regardless of which one) it shows my IDE controller flashing on and off.
This is the same situation with my network adapter.
The virtual machines still run smoothly, however, this has become problematic when I have attempted to connect my wireless adapter (USB Device) which does not consistently stay connected or connect at all.
It should also be noted that the on and off i'm referencing in regards to the virtual machines is displayed at the bottom of the window, and the constant flash between red and green.

I’m somewhat new to Linux and virtual box and I’m unsure what the issue could be, but its my best assumption that it has to do with the virtual box application as this issue applies to all my virtual machines. If anyone has an idea of possible issues and can lead me in the right direction, help would be very much appreciated. I can also give or find more information if necessary.

Side-note: (I have this underlying feeling that there is something simple that I’m just overlooking)
Last edited by socratis on 21. Apr 2018, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unstable virtualmachine?

Post by socratis »

Evan.ova wrote:It should also be noted that the on and off i'm referencing in regards to the virtual machines is displayed at the bottom of the window, and the constant flash between red and green.
That's an indicator of reading (green) or writing (red) to the VDI. Same thing with your network adapter, your USB, and your display.

But I believe all of that is because:
Evan.ova wrote:when I have attempted to connect my wireless adapter (USB Device) which does not consistently stay connected or connect at all.
It sounds like you're having a problem with that part, so please describe in detail what that means...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Evan.ova

Post by Evan.ova »

Originally the issue was that when I plugged in my wireless adapter, and connected it in the virtual machine, the connection to the network would work for a few seconds, and then stop, and this would repeat. However, I figured out what was wrong. My software was out of date, i just updated it and now it works fine.

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the inconvenience!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going after all...
Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.