VirtualBox Machine WinXP crashes after log-in

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Licenseplate

VirtualBox Machine WinXP crashes after log-in

Post by Licenseplate »

Hello,

Running on a Ubuntu 16.04 VPS and the latest version of VB.

When I start the Machine it gets to the log-in screen and crashes out, not getting to the desktop. When i start the machine in Safe or Headless mode it works perfectly fine (though is not usable).
Any help would be great, here is my log to help diagnose the issue.

Thanks.
Last edited by Licenseplate on 18. Apr 2018, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Licenseplate

Re: VirtualBox Machine WinXP crashes after log-in

Post by Licenseplate »

Here is the log
Attachments
virtualbox_log_paste_win_xp.txt
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.34_Ubuntu r121010 linux.amd64 (Feb  2 2018 12:27:46) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.
00:00:00.518013 Guest OS type: 'WindowsXP_64'
Are you sure you're using the 64-bit version of WinXP? That's a rare beast, please check again...
00:00:15.499492 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 4.3.16 r95972 '4.3.16'
Your Guest Additions are seriously out of date, you'll need to boot WinXP into safe mode and update the GAs.
00:00:00.934610 Full Name: "Intel Core Processor (Haswell, no TSX)"
That's a really weird name for a processor, and I haven't seen VirtualBox failing to get the proper CPU. What's that system?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Looking through the net the CPU model ""Intel Core Processor (Haswell, no TSX)"" only appears in QEMU/KVM/OpenStack virtual machines, so we have here a nested virtualization which is not supported.
This is also visible in the log
00:00:00.435346 DMI Product Name: OpenStack Nova
00:00:00.435352 DMI Product Version: 14.0.10
and in the initial post
Running on a Ubuntu 16.04 VPS
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Nice catch Martin!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Licenseplate

Post by Licenseplate »

Thanks for the replies!

You're saying that the best option would be to nuke the version of VirtualBox I have installed and use the direct download from the website (I installed it via the SSH terminal I use).
The version of Windows XP is 64bit, and it's a strange CPU because its hosted on a VPS.
I will say that it was working perfectly fine up until earlier yesterday in which I came across an error message preventing me from opening VB entirely after updating my system. So I know that it will work with the resources I have.
Thanks again for the replies!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

The current versions of Vbox need hardware virtualization (VT-x / AMD-V) features to run a Win XP guest. These features are not available or restricted in a virtual / VPS environment.
Do you know if Vbox was updated with your system update?
Older (5.0.x) versions may be still able to run XP there.
Licenseplate

Post by Licenseplate »

I had to nuke the whole server as it was just easier to do a fresh reinstall from code I knew and trusted than trying to find the thing causing the issue. So the version of virtualBox I assume is the most up to date, I used the command "audio apt-get install virtualbox" and then updated from the station, but I can understand that this may not be the most up to date.
As I said before it wss working perfectly fine up until yesterday where I was getting an error from VB not allowing me to open the application at all.
Licenseplate

Post by Licenseplate »

If I'm able to use an put of date version of VB I'm sure that'll be fine, I don't need the latest and greatest for this task.
Licenseplate

Post by Licenseplate »

Ive updated my guest additions, unfortunately it still doesn't work. After the "Windows XP 64x" screen it crashes to VB and the machine has been "Aborted".