VPN access

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RogueC

VPN access

Post by RogueC »

I'm in the process of testing some new software, so I've set up a VM for a clean machine to install it on. Unfortunately, I can't connect to the company's VPN to pull the software from gitlab in the VM. I've imported the settings on my VM, and set it up exactly the same way, so I'm assuming my problem is with my network settings. Both the host and the guest(s) are running Ubuntu 16.04. What network settings should I be using or is it more likely a problem on the VPN side with 2 machines using the same credentials?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VPN access

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.

It sounds like you need Bridged mode to make the VM appear as just another computer in your LAN. I'm not sure though if the MAC of the VM is going to be allowed in the LAN.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.