No IP in Bridged Mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RobertJ

No IP in Bridged Mode

Post by RobertJ »

I have successfully been running a Debian VM in VB for a few years now. Over the weekend I wanted to add a second VM (Ubuntu based).
When I started up the Ubuntu VM I got a 10.0.2.x IP.
I checked my Debian VM and noticed the network adaptor setting was set to Bridged and my Ubuntu VM was set to NAT. I changed this to be Bridged as well but now I don't get any IP, not even an IPPA address.

I'm confused why the Debian VM works and the Ubuntu does not when the networking settings are the same.

I just had a terrible thought that maybe you can only bridge the host NIC to one VM....

Thanks,
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: No IP in Bridged Mode

Post by andyp73 »

RobertJ wrote:I just had a terrible thought that maybe you can only bridge the host NIC to one VM....
That is a terrible thought only in so far as it is a bad one!

You can have as many guests as you like with their NIC set to bridged mode and they should all play nicely together.

Please post a ZIP file containing the latest log file from both the Debian and Ubuntu guests. It would also be good to see the output from
(sudo) ifconfig -a
on the Ubuntu guest.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I'll have to grab the logs when I get home but here is a screen show of the output from sudo ifconfig -a:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (23.09 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The HWaddr field that you have blanked out is the important bit as we will need to check it against what is in the log file!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Ok, Sorry it took so long to reply. Busy time.
I can't copy and paste the log so I will type out a section of the syslog from the VM.

Code: Select all

Starting at Apr 4 20:18:35 Haas dhclient[946]: DHCPDISCOVER on enp0s3 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3 (xid=0x93fc4156)
This continues every 3 to 21 seconds until:

Apr 4 20:23:36 Hass dhclient[946]: No DHCPOFFERS received.
Apr 4 20:23:36 Haas dhclient[946]: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
Apr 4 20:30:01 Haas dhclient[946]: DCHPDISCOVER on enp0s3 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3 (xid=0xa636761)
This also continues every 3 to 21 seconds.
The log is filled with 2254 lines of the above repeating.

The HWaddr from ipconfig -a that I blacked out above is: 08:00:27:de:89:71

As for the log on the host machine. I'm not sure what to look for.

Hope this helps
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

RobertJ wrote: I can't copy and paste the log so . . .
Why? Do not say too large; that is why the zip application was created.
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

RobertJ wrote:As for the log on the host machine. I'm not sure what to look for.
For each VM you create there is a "Logs" folder created on the host file system in which there is a file called VBox.log. If you look at User manual section 10.1 it will tell you where they are stored for the various supported hosts.

Grab the file, zip it and post it here.
RobertJ wrote:

Apr 4 20:23:36 Hass dhclient[946]: No DHCPOFFERS received.
This probably means that your DHCP server isn't responding or there could be an issue with the MAC address between the guest, host and DHCP requests.

-Andy.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

ChipMcK wrote: Why? Do not say too large; that is why the zip application was created.
Nope not to large, just have limited physical access to the server as I do most of my work on it during lunch when I am at work. No network makes things very complicated, and VB GUI doesn't seem to allow me to copy and paste.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

VBox-log.zip
Log file for VBox Guest
(25.27 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
andyp73 wrote:
For each VM you create there is a "Logs" folder created on the host file system in which there is a file called VBox.log. If you look at User manual section 10.1 it will tell you where they are stored for the various supported hosts.

Grab the file, zip it and post it here.
The zip file is attached.
andyp73 wrote:
This probably means that your DHCP server isn't responding or there could be an issue with the MAC address between the guest, host and DHCP requests.

-Andy.
I'd place my money on the MAC issue since the other VM gets an IP over DHCP (Reserved) and all my other devices get IPs as well.

Thanks,
-Rob
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
VirtualBox VM 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 linux.amd64 (Nov  6 2017 17:41:59) release log
This looks to be the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox rather than the official one which is the only one we support here. The normal recommendation is to "uninstall/delete/purge that one (the one from the Ubuntu store) and download the official one" (thanks Socratis).

That said, I can't see anything too untoward in the log file (albeit I am not an expert on them yet) but can you try the following in the guest VM when it has booted:

dmesg | grep e1000
dhclient -v
-Andy.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

andyp73 wrote:
This looks to be the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox rather than the official one which is the only one we support here. The normal recommendation is to "uninstall/delete/purge that one (the one from the Ubuntu store) and download the official one" (thanks Socratis).

That said, I can't see anything too untoward in the log file (albeit I am not an expert on them yet) but can you try the following in the guest VM when it has booted:

dmesg | grep e1000
dhclient -v
-Andy.
Unfortunately I'm not willing to do the purge and re-install for the simple fact that I have a fully functioning VM already running that I don't want o have any downtime with.

I ran the dmesg | grep e1000 and got the following output:
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 1.PNG (8.84 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Then I ran the dhclient -v and got:
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (29.27 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Your system very small and old: Single Core CPU, 2GB RAM and no hardware virtualization support in the Athlon 64 CPU.
Also you are running a very old version 5.0.40 of Virtualbox which was not created by Oracle and we don't know what Ubuntu has changed in their builds.