critical error after upgrade to 5.1.34

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Kobbema

critical error after upgrade to 5.1.34

Post by Kobbema »

Hello,

Apologies if this problem has already been reported, but this is my first time on any forum and I panicked when seeing the sheer amount of posts.

I have been using VirtualBox for 10+ years to run WindowsXP on both my Ubuntu desktop and my Windows10 laptop (as well as running Ubuntu there).

Yesterday Ubuntu installed a new version of VirtualBox and starting my WindowsXP VM gave me a "VirtualBox - Error" and a second panel saying "RTR3InitEx failed wirh rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)"
The panel further suggested to run "modprobe vboxdrv" which did not make any difference.

Ever since starting my WindowsXP VM starts Windows, but then throws up a panel of "VirtualBox - Guru Meditation" advising me that a critical error has occurred and suggesting I go to the community for help.
The mouse has then become inoperative, but pressing <enter> closes the panel and gets me back to the VirtualBox manager.

I exported the VM and imported it to my Windows10 laptop where the VM ran successfully.

I removed and reinstalled VirtualBox, but that made no difference.

The Guru Meditation advised me to include VBox.log and VBox.png, but i cannot because of an upload limit size.

I imported the Ubuntu VM from my laptop and that came with a VirtualBox - Error as well. The details were:
  • VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).
    Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component: ConsoleWrap
    Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Issuing command "VBoxManage modifyvm "Windows XP" --hwvirtex off" as per recommendation in https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17522 did not solve the problem.

Giving more memory to the VM as per recommendation of https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2761 did not solve the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: critical error after upgrade to 5.1.34

Post by socratis »

Kobbema wrote:The Guru Meditation advised me to include VBox.log and VBox.png, but i cannot because of an upload limit size.
Even if you ZIP it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

I will zip the log and post it when I get home on Sunday.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

VBox.log and VBox.png attached
Attachments
Logs.zip
VBox.log & VBox.png
(57.83 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.34_Ubuntu r121010 linux.amd64 (Feb  2 2018 12:27:46) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.
00:00:00.809233 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
You'll also need to address that part. Unfortunately, your Core2 Quad Q8200 CPU does not support VT-x. You cannot run WinXP, even in 32-bit mode.

You could try the latest VirtualBox from the 5.0.x series, but no guarantees....
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Okay, I will ask in the Ubuntu forum.

Concerning your other comment, with all due respect, but as I stated in my original post:

I have been using VirtualBox for 10+ years to run WindowsXP on both my Ubuntu desktop and my Windows10 laptop (as well as running Ubuntu there).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kobbema wrote:I have been using VirtualBox for 10+ years to run WindowsXP
VirtualBox 5.2.x is *not* 10+ years old, that's the disconnect. That's why I proposed the last one from the 5.0.x series. Without VT-x you're running in "raw mode", something that is being phased out with recent VirtualBox releases. I hope it's clearer now...
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Oh.

That means I would need to buy a new box.
But I need to run the VM now.
Am I correct that I can downgrade VirtualBox?
If so, which version would you recommend?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Just go back to the version you were using before. ;)
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

That means going back to 5.0.18, because that is the only alternative in the Ubuntu repositories.
I found some advice on downgrading here: https://www.howtogeek.com/117929/how-to ... on-ubuntu/
However, when I run synaptic, I find there is more than just "virtualbox", so after some trial-and-error I ticked virtualbox, virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-qt (and forced them all to version 5.0.18).
Unfortunately the install fails and synaptic reports virtualbox-qt as broken.

starting a VM gives this error:
The virtual machine 'Windows XP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

and a further error as follows
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

and
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.13.0-38-generic
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kobbema, you need to be reading the answers more closely: I'm afraid I cannot keep on giving advice if that advice is completely ignored. I'll let someone else handle this...
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Socratis, I apologize for not clearly explaining why I did what I did, but with all due respect, I am running a Ubuntu system and I defer to those who maintain it and you are not in the line of command, so to speak. Even so, I have downloaded http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _amd64.deb and installed it, but while the install appeared to be successful, attempting to start a VM gave an error as follows.
The virtual machine 'Windows XP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
and then an error as follows
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
executing '/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup' gave this result
~$ sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup
[sudo] password for humphrey:
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists: '/var/crash/virtualbox-5.0.0.crash'
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.18/build/make.log for more information.
...failed!
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
Please note that DKMS was installed.

Note that installing virtualbox-dkms (as provided by the repositories) gave the same result.
Attachments
vbox-install.log
/var/log/vbox-install.log
(33.79 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
make.log
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.18/build/make.log
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Your kernel is too new for 5.0.x. Your computer is not capable for 5.2.x. So, no VirtualBox for you with this scenario I'm afraid. Sorry about that...
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Right, so I downgrade to a kernel that 5.0.18 will work with and I can continue to run my WindowsXP VM.
So far, so good.
But
I am of the opinion that VirtualBox (i.e. Oracle) should provide a 'heritage' version capable of running in raw mode so that people with older equipment can keep using VirtualBox. There would seem to be no need to maintain support for that heritage version other than providing security updates.

May I request that Oracle consider providing such a heritage version?

Meanwhile, thanks for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You said that your setup was working with 5.1.34 (it's actually the title). So you could try with the 5.1.x series and see if that works. The 5.1.x series is still supported, in fact 5.1.36 came out yesterday. So, why not try with that? The 5.0.x was just a suggestion I knew it had a lot more chances of working, but since 5.1.34 was working for you, I'd go with 5.1.36.