critical error after upgrade to 5.1.34

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Kobbema

Re: critical error after upgrade to 5.1.34

Post by Kobbema »

I apologize again; I should be more precise. This is the text of my bug report with Canonical.
Due to the latest changes in VirtualBox
kernel 4.13.0 is not compatible with VirtualBox 5.1.34 and
kernel 4.4.0 is not compatible with VirtualBox 5.1.34 due to the latest changes in the kernel
kernel 4.13.0 not backwards compatible with VirtualBox 5.0.18 but
kernel 4.4.0 is compatible with VirtualBox 5.0.18

The incompatibility of VirtualBox 5.1.34 is caused by Oracle phasing out support for running in 'raw mode' so that system without VT-x can no longer run VMs. The lack of backwards compatibility of kernel 4.13.0 is not known to me (being a non-expert).

I have requested Oracle to provide (and support) a 'heritage' version (see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87387).

However, the fact that VirtualBox 5.0.18 is in the repositories (i.e. listed in Synaptic) means that kernel 4.13.0 is deemed to be compatible with VirtualBox 5.0.18.
The reason I chose 5.0.18 was that it was the only other option in the repository and I am more happy to stay within the bounds of what they have authorized.

Will you pass on to Oracle my request to provide a heritage version?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Kobbema wrote:Will you pass on to Oracle my request to provide a heritage version?
If the developers don't see your post, I will give a shout to them, but I can bet you what the answer will be: no, we can't do it, not enough resources.

If you have a decade plus old hardware, you can't expect to be running the latest and greatest. Hardware moves on, software moves on. C'est la vie...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Okay and thank you, Socratis.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

No, it appears I have no options.
Due to the latest changes in VirtualBox
kernel 4.13.0 is not compatible with VirtualBox 5.1.34 and
kernel 4.4.0 is not compatible with VirtualBox 5.1.34
due to the latest changes in the kernel
kernel 4.13.0 not backwards compatible with VirtualBox 5.0.18
but
kernel 4.4.0 is compatible with VirtualBox 5.0.18

On the topic of a 'heritage' version, Mozilla had Firefox ESR (extended support release) to allow system administrators more time to move customers off Windows XP (see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/). Why couldn't Oracle likewise considerate? And hardware without VT-x is not nearly as old as Windows XP.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You could go back to what it worked 3-5 years ago. You seriously need to downgrade your kernel and VirtualBox. But it will work...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Yes, I tried it and it did work, but then it stopped working, because the system upgraded VirtualBox from 5.0.18 to 5.1.34 even though I had it "locked" which therefore shouldn't have happened. I logged a bug report and am waiting for a response there. Meanwhile, I am still exploring upgrading my hardware, moving MS-Office 2010 (which I like) to another (even older) system and the free web-based version of MS-Office. As they say, I am not out of the woods, yet.
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

I have abandoned my project of downgrading both kernel and VirtualBox.
I have looked at the web-based version of Office and found it insufficient for my needs.
I have tried and rejected Wine.
I have pulled an old HP 32bit desktop from 2004 out of the cupboard and I am now running Windows XP + Office 2007. Startup is slow, but response time is acceptable.
Money doesn't grow on trees so I will wait until Oracle brings back 'raw mode'.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kobbema wrote:I will wait until Oracle brings back 'raw mode'.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Hardware and software moves forward. More than 95% of the hardware sold over the past 10 years has VT-x capabilities. In fact I don't think that you are going to find a new computer (even the entry level ones) without VT-x. It's a safe bet for software to assume that VT-x will be available.

Try to run some the most popular antivirus these days on a non-VT-x computer. They do assume that you have VT-x and they go for hardware virtualization. If you don't have it, they crash...
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Okay. Over and out.
grimmjow_sms

Post by grimmjow_sms »

Kobbema wrote:Hello,

Apologies if this problem has already been reported, but this is my first time on any forum and I panicked when seeing the sheer amount of posts.

I have been using VirtualBox for 10+ years to run WindowsXP on both my Ubuntu desktop and my Windows10 laptop (as well as running Ubuntu there).

Yesterday Ubuntu installed a new version of VirtualBox and starting my WindowsXP VM gave me a "VirtualBox - Error" and a second panel saying "RTR3InitEx failed wirh rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)"
Hi Kobbema

you said that prior to 5.1.34 VB was working fine right? Do you remember which version was it?
Also do you remember which kernel version you had when VB was working?
I wanto try those 2 versions, both the kernel and VB to see if it works on my system, because with the most updated ones I am no able to use VB.

Regards
Kobbema

Post by Kobbema »

Thanks Socratis, but I will wait until I can get a newer cpu.

You can close the topic.