V Drive not recognized Win7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Ernie's Pizza

V Drive not recognized Win7

Post by Ernie's Pizza »

Win7 guest I can't use my D Drive. Guest does not recognize it. I do have usb working because I installed extensions
Ernie's Pizza

Re: V Drive not recognized Win7

Post by Ernie's Pizza »

Dang Nabit, I just answered my own question.
Win 7 Guest Linux Host, In Guest, I opened file icon, bottom left tray, chose Computer from menu on left side; screen comes up, showing C drive and " devices with removable Storage" That's the D drive; I right clicked on that, and clicked on properties in the drop down menu. Where I could see the drive was not shared, so I clicked on " Advanced Sharing", and set up to make it shared, then apply and ok, and lo and behold it works.
I first went in to Oracle VM Virtual Box manager, and found the D drive was listed in the " Storage Tree"

I just tested it with a camera cd, so it works ok for now. :roll:
Ernie's Pizza

Post by Ernie's Pizza »

Actually, I have trouble with music videos. can't play them. They are not recognized. Searching online for driver update, but that tokes forever.
Ernie's Pizza

Post by Ernie's Pizza »

Driver for D Drive is up to date. Windows media player will not recognize music cd's, so csan't play them.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That's correct. Only data CDs are recognized in VirtualBox, or ISO images of same. Audio CDs are semi analog, they are not data CDs so are hard for a PC to use directly.

OTOH it's very easy to rip the CD tracks using something like dbPowerAmp CD ripper tool, and play the resulting mp3s quite easily on any PC, virtual or not, and much more conveniently.
Ernie's Pizza

Post by Ernie's Pizza »

Thanks, I will try that out, presumably on the VM side of things, in guest.