Incoherence in mac addresses

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
frepie
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Kali

Incoherence in mac addresses

Post by frepie »

Hi
When scanning with nmap a red hat machine on a host only adapter, the nmap show a mac address different from the one showing in network advanced settings:
For the same machine:
  • MAC address according to nmap: 08:00:27:7E:FC:35 (Oracle VirtualBox virtual NIC)
    MAC address according to Network advanced tab in virtualbox interface: 08 00 27 fd 1e 8b
What could be the reason for that behavior?

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Incoherence in mac addresses

Post by socratis »

1. Is RedHat the guest?
  2. Are you running the nmap from within the guest?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
frepie
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Kali

Post by frepie »

The guest is Centos which I think is same as Red Hat

Nmap is run on Kali
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You know that even Tweeter has doubled its limit, right? You don't have to be so Spartan in your descriptions... ;)

Here's what's going on. What you see from nmap in your host is the HostOnly card for VirtualBox, not your VM's card. I don't know what network mode you've selected for your VM, but it's not going to be seen outside of the VirtualBox world, unless that mode is Bridged, and I haven't even tried that, it's simply a credible assumption. Try it and let us know...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.