"VBoxManage list usbhost" doesn't list any USB devices

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
commoner

"VBoxManage list usbhost" doesn't list any USB devices

Post by commoner »

I have a similar problem but have not found a solution. VirtualBox does not detect connected USBs, whether they are mounted or unmounted. I cannot see them in order to add filters. I have a Fedora 27 (x64) host and I'm running a Windows 10 x64 guest using VitualBox 5.2.8r121009.
I've installed the Extention pack 5.2.8r121009 on my host and Guest Additions in the vm. I've also enabled USB3 xHCI controller and I know that my hardware (Thinkpad X230) supports it (in 3 of its 2 usb ports). I've also assured that my user is added to the vboxusers group.

I've tried to run the command VBoxManage list usbhost but it returns an empty list. Curiously, as an experiment I've ran the same command as root and it returns a full list of my hardware, including connected USBs, webcam, etc.

I used to be able to find and connect to usb keys with VirtualBox 5.1. I'm not sure if it was the 5.2 update or other updates internal to Fedoda 27 but it stopped working. I'm attaching my log. Any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Win10_vm.zip
VM logs 0 to 3
(119.13 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
commoner

Re: "VBoxManage list usbhost" doesn't list any USB devices

Post by commoner »

UPDATE
I've removed VitualBox 5.2.8r121009 and installed 5.1.34 r121010 and now VirtualBox can detect USBs and other connected devices.

Still have no idea why it couldn't detect them before. I would really like to be able to run the latest version of VirtualBox tho.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. I split your post from "[Solved] Refuses to see the host USB":
    1. You didn't have the same problem. For starters, you don't have a forked VirtualBox.
    2. It's not right to hijack other people's threads, especially if they're marked as [Solved].
  2. The log is somewhat, to not at all important in this case. Especially 4 of them! The most important is that you post the output of "id" after a host reboot.
  3. Can you try with VirtualBox 5.2.6 instead and see if that's a 5.2.8 regression?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Joe Schmoe

Post by Joe Schmoe »

I'm running VB 5.2.10 on Ubuntu 18.04.

I have this same problem - where "VBoxManage list usbhost" returns an empty list - when run as my normal user login.

But if I run it as root (via sudo), then it shows everything.

I never would have thought to run it as root - until I googled and found this thread.

Does this mean that I have to run my virtual machine as root in order to be able to access the host USB device(s) ?

(Surely not. Surely, this is fixable...)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Joe Schmoe wrote:I have this same problem - where "VBoxManage list usbhost" returns an empty list - when run as my normal user login.
Did you read the link right above your post? In that link it says:
Have you read about USB in the user manual (section 3.11.2)? specifically what it has to say about adding yourself to the "vboxusers" group?
Also read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Joe Schmoe

Post by Joe Schmoe »

Thanks for pointing that out - section 3.11.2. However, doesn't help.

Code: Select all

$ groups
username adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxusers
$ VBoxManage list usbhost
Host USB Devices:

<none>

$ sudo VBoxManage list usbhost 
Host USB Devices:

UUID:               b3cd66ae-d071-4801-a851-4a4234191771
VendorId:           0x8087 (8087)
ProductId:          0x0ab6 (0AB6)
Revision:           128.135 (128135)
Port:               3
etc.
So, it still works as root, but not as me, even though I am in the vboxusers group.
Last edited by socratis on 25. May 2018, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you reboot your host?
Joe Schmoe

Post by Joe Schmoe »

socratis wrote:Did you reboot your host?
That turns out to be the magic bullet.

I didn't want to reboot - because, well, you know, that's supposed to be one of the great things about Linux - you don't need to reboot every time a butterfly in China flaps its wings (like you do in Windows). In general, I try to reboot my Linux machines as rarely as possible. As my mentor liked to say "Long uptimes is the sign of good system management."

But eventually, I decided that rebooting was necessary.

So, I did, and now things seem to be working. The "list usbhost" works and the USB devices show up in the menu when running my guest OS VM.

P.S. I still find it strange, though, that it didn't work before the reboot - given that I was in the group. There must be some background process or daemon running that is running as me and hence didn't get the group change (until, of course, after the reboot).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't have to reboot actually, just a logout/login was enough, that's when the permissions/groups are determined.

I simply wanted to ruin your uptime! ;)

PS. I told you to read the thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. In there there is a note specifically for Linux users, with RED LETTERS:
NOTE for Linux hosts
For Linux hosts, please make sure that you are a part of the "vboxusers" group and verify your membership with the "id" command, after a logout or a reboot. Otherwise you will not see any USB devices. Also remember that only the official download from VirtualBox is supported, not your distro's.
Turns out it wasn't *me* that ruined your uptime, it was *you* and your reading... :D