VirtualBox package name, why include the version?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Trevor P

VirtualBox package name, why include the version?

Post by Trevor P »

Perhaps I've missed this in an earlier thread, but why has Oracle chosen to include the "version" within the package name itself?

Usually something like "apt install VirtualBox" should install the latest version of VirtualBox, no matter what the version is.

When 5.3 comes out, a simple "apt upgrade" will not upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2, nor will 5.2.X automatically upgrade to 5.3, we have to remove the old version first, then tell the system to install a new version. This is not upgrading, this is removal and install.

Am I missing a reason as to why the version number is embedded as part of the package name?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox package name, why include the version?

Post by socratis »

I believe that this scheme was enforced by the distros, not VirtualBox. I can't remember the exact reason why, sorry...

In any event, the apt-get will get you the $DISTRO store version, unless you've manually specified the VirtualBox ppa beforehand.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.