Andoid 7.1 cut-paste buffer

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
timothylegg
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Ubuntu, FreeDOS, Android

Andoid 7.1 cut-paste buffer

Post by timothylegg »

Hello,

Is there a method for pasting text into Android 7.1? It doesn't need to be bidirectional. I am aware of the settings from Host-S : General->Advanced->Shared Clipboard=Host to Guest , but that didn't help me any. Is this possible to do?

VirtualBox == Version 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.1)
Android installed from android-x86_64-7.1-rc2.iso

Thanks,

Timothy D. Legg
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Andoid 7.1 cut-paste buffer

Post by mpack »

timothylegg wrote:I am aware of the settings from Host-S : General->Advanced->Shared Clipboard=Host to Guest , but that didn't help me any.
It wouldn't. Shared clipboard requires Guest Additions, which don't exist for Android.

Practically speaking I believe the answer to your question is no: pasting text is not possible into an Android guest. There has been discussion of injecting keyboard scan codes into the guest, and that would probably have a result, but I'd be amazed if it was practical for anything more than the occasional 8 letter password.

Pretty much your only option for getting data into an Android guest would be a Samba share, and that will of course mean files, not copy/paste or drag/drop.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

For "pasting" from host to guest, more accurately sending a sequence of characters from host to guest, or even a series of lines (think script), see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80315&start=15#p414817
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
timothylegg
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Ubuntu, FreeDOS, Android

Post by timothylegg »

I was hoping there might be a backup method, such as simulating a keyboard as Socratis suggested. I think that would be a useful feature once it is fully functional.

I have a clunky workaround that doesn't involve a samba share. That is serving the text via HTTP. I was hoping for something a tad bit better.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

timothylegg wrote:I was hoping there might be a backup method, such as simulating a keyboard as Socratis suggested. I think that would be a useful feature once it is fully functional.
I didn't "suggest" it as a future idea. That capability/functionality exists already, I simply mentioned the fact that it does. Fully functional keyboard simulation. Host to Guest only obviously. Try it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.