Shared clipboard

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
miguelg

Shared clipboard

Post by miguelg »

I run a headless VM on a server that runs great but for a minor niggling limitation: the shared clipboard does not work at all.

The VM is launched via the CLI like so:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage startvm work --type headless

I then use Remmina to access the VM via the RDP connection provided by VirtualBox.

When I `ssh -X server` and launch VirtualBox's GUI, I can see that the bidirectional clipboard setting is active -- admittedly, I haven't tried the equivalent command line option when launching the VM but the GUI seems to indicate everything is as expected.

From what I've read this may have something to do with the fact that the VM runs on a headless server (no X). Hopefully there's some sort of workaround that can be put in place since having a fully working shared clipboard would be great.

Anyone willing to help me achieve a shared clipboard between remote and the VM?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared clipboard

Post by socratis »

miguelg wrote:From what I've read this may have something to do with the fact that the VM runs on a headless server (no X).
Correct. No X, no clipboard.
miguelg wrote:Hopefully there's some sort of workaround that can be put in place
Install X. That's the only workaround.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.