Problemas a instalar VB 5.2.8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
micaldas

Problemas a instalar VB 5.2.8

Post by micaldas »

Hi,
I'm trying to install VB in Debian 9 and, as I tried to open my first VM, I get this error message:
"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. "
I followed their advice and executed "/sbin/vboxconfig', which generated its own error message:
"Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxdrv.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxdrv.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxballoonctrl-service.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxballoonctrl-service.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxautostart-service.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxautostart-service.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxweb-service.service → /lib/systemd/system/vboxweb-service.service.
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel
for adding new hardware support to the system.
The distribution packages containing the headers are probably:
    linux-headers-amd64 linux-headers-4.9.0-4-amd64
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel
for adding new hardware support to the system.
The distribution packages containing the headers are probably:
    linux-headers-amd64 linux-headers-4.9.0-4-amd64

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root."
I downloaded and installed the packages they referred on the message, but it didn't change anything.
If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Last edited by socratis on 12. Mar 2018, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [pre] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problemas a instalar VB 5.2.8

Post by socratis »

micaldas wrote:I downloaded and installed the packages they referred on the message
Which parts exactly? The headers? The build tools? All of them? None of them? It would be better if you included the error after you took corrective action, not before.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
micaldas

Post by micaldas »

The error message is the same before and after corrective measures, and I installed just the headers.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Then the corrective action was not... correct ;)
If you had installed the appropriate headers and tools, you wouldn't be having that error. Please try again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.