[Solved] Refuses to see the host USB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Toastrack

[Solved] Refuses to see the host USB

Post by Toastrack »

I ahve installed the latest virtualbox on my Linux MX1 host, and mainly it is working briliantly. It sees all the guest storage itame I have set up OK.
BUT, it refuses to see any USB storage on the host. I have tried sekecting each of USB 1, 2 and 3, but nothing woeks. I believe the host expects USB 2, but I am not certain.
I am now at a loss as to what to do next. :(
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Refuses to see the host USB

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Toastrack

Post by Toastrack »

Thanks. Pardon the delay.
I hope I have managed to attach the logfile zip
Attachments
VMlog.zip
(20.88 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VBox.log wrote: VirtualBox VM 5.1.22_MX r115126 linux.amd64 (May 1 2017 18:10:35) release log
You seem to be using a fork, rather than VirtualBox itself, which is the only thing we support here. I cannot say with certainty that the VirtualBox extension pack (which provides USB2/3 support) will work on a fork. Probably it will, but in that case I'd certainly uninstall that third party (VNC) extension pack that you also installed. You shouldn't need both.

Have you read about USB in the user manual (section 3.11.2)? specifically what it has to say about adding yourself to the "vboxusers" group?

Also, please don't thrash: "I tried USB 1, 2 and 3" doesn't sound very productive. You should be using the version of USB which is supported by the host and the guest, and required by the device. Basically, if you plug the device into a host USB3 port then you need USB3 support on the host and in the guest (with a Win10 guest the latter should not be a problem). If the selected host port is a USB2 port then that is what you should configure all round.

And if all you need to do is access USB storage, then accessing it as a shared folder may be much simpler.

IMPORTANT PS: I see no sign that you've installed the Guest Additions. While not relevant to USB, that will pretty much cripple the performance of a Win10 guest, particularly regarding graphics performance. Also GA shared folders naturally requires that you install the GAs.
Toastrack

Post by Toastrack »

Thank you; plenty for me to work at! I thought that the guest aditions had come with the download system.
I am not clear about what is meant by a "fork".
Further thought made me wonder if I had attached an old logfile from before reinstallation; I will now try and attach what I believe to be the latest (and relevant) one for your comments please.
Attachments
VMLOG3.zip
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Toastrack wrote: I thought that the guest aditions had come with the download system.
They did. However they don't install themselves - that would be rather heavy handed. See chapter 4 for instruction on installing the GAs.
Toastrack wrote: I am not clear about what is meant by a "fork".
A fork is when someone takes the source code and compiles it themselves and perhaps modifies it in ways we have no way of knowing, and so can't support. If you want support for a fork you need to seek out the person or team that created it.

I have no idea what that is in your last attachment, but it certainly isn't a complete VM log.
Toastrack

Post by Toastrack »

Just to let you know that the guest additions is now all working AOK.

After several abortive attempts, the iso suddenly showed up, was run without a problem and fulfilled its function.

Thank you for your help and patience. :D
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Good, and thanks for reporting back.