Virtual Machine frozen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
NPS

Virtual Machine frozen

Post by NPS »

Hello,

I want to restore my saved VM in order to resume work, it seems to retore completely, but the VM comes up "frozen" and does not react on mouse clicks or keyboard key strokes in any open terminal shell and thus just seems paralyzed.
(There is also some information in the terminal shells that I wish to backup.)
I have also noticed that my Caps Lock key starts flashing as soon as I activate the VB window.

Oracle VirtualBox Version 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.6.2).
Rebooting my PC (Windows 7) does not help -> the behavior remains the same.

Maybe someone has an idea ?

BR
Rainer
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Machine frozen

Post by socratis »

NPS wrote:I have also noticed that my Caps Lock key starts flashing as soon as I activate the VB window.
You had a kernel panic on the guest. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/265996/ ... em-freezes and https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -is-frozen
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NPS

Post by NPS »

Thank you.

Is there any remedy to a kernel panic ?

I wish to not lose things I had in the terminal windows.
Maybe there is something which will do the trick ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

NPS wrote:Is there any remedy to a kernel panic ?
Treat it like you would treat a physical computer. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

What has changed on your host that causes this? And please do not reply "nothing". Nothing is not a valid answer, unless your computer was shutdown completely...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NPS

Post by NPS »

Indeed I had to restart my computer, because our IT department wanted to install some SW Updates on it. I doubt this could have caused a kernel panic after the restart of my computer, but I don't know why the kernel is panicking, so maybe yes, this could be the reason... So I will treat it as a physical computer then and shutdown the VM - there is no means to analyze or recover ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

NPS wrote:but I don't know why the kernel is panicking
Same here, but most probably the updates. Hard to pinpoint.

No, it's not easy to recover, but you've learned a lesson. 1) Backup, 2) Completely shut-down the VM if you're going to do changes to the host. Even small innocuous ones...

As for how to recover from the Linux kernel panic? I'd start by again treating is as a physical computer and search for "Linux recover from kernel panic".

PS. I've deleted your duplicate from the "Allgemeine Diskussionen" section. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed.
NPS

Post by NPS »

I have checked the VM logs, but there is no further evidence.
Basically I see only the VM state changes as far as the sanity of the VM is concerned.

Thank you for help and advice so far. :)

I created that "duplicate" in order to extend the audience thinking that some users might never look elsewhere than in "Allgemeine Diskussionen" section, because they do not speak well English.