[Invalid] VirtualBox 5.2.8 network bridging requires promiscous mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Sylvia Else

[Invalid] VirtualBox 5.2.8 network bridging requires promiscous mode

Post by Sylvia Else »

I'm finding that bridge networking doesn't work unless in VirtualBox you set the Network advance setting "Promiscuous mode" to "Allow All". Note that this must be done before the guest's network adapter is brought up - simplest way is to restart the guest.

This shouldn't be necessary, and is a potential security hole if you don't trust your guest. I'm looking into it further.

Sylvia.
[Mod Edit; Topic marked as [Invalid] after the OP's request]
Last edited by socratis on 17. Mar 2018, 04:57, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VirtualBox 5.2.8 network bridging requires promiscous mode

Post by andyp73 »

Sylvia Else wrote:I'm finding that bridge networking doesn't work unless in VirtualBox you set the Network advance setting "Promiscuous mode" to "Allow All".
On what basis have you come to this conclusion? I have any number of VM guests (Windows, Linux, OS/2) running on Windows, macOS and Linux hosts all with the network in bridged mode and all with the promiscuity setting at the default "Deny".

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Sylvia Else

Re: VirtualBox 5.2.8 network bridging requires promiscous mode

Post by Sylvia Else »

You may be right after all. I can consistently bring a guest (Ubuntu14) up with no access to the network with promiscuous mode disabled, but I've just had it come up with no access when promiscuous mode is enabled, so that's not the panacea it appeared to be.

At the moment, I have VirtualBox logging set up to tell me that the packets are being passed through, but they're not being seen by the guest.

I'll stick with it.
Last edited by socratis on 7. Mar 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.