Stuck after Fatal CD Error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MothingMan

Stuck after Fatal CD Error

Post by MothingMan »

Hi, Running PC-Linux, KDE Plasma. I am trying to install DOS in Virtual Box. I deleted the existing virtualbox and reinstalled using Synaptic, everything went Ok, I then created the disk for DOS, Then when I selected the CD to install DOS I got an Error
"FATAL error no bootable media found" Maybe the CD is corrupt ? I have another CD to try but I can find no way to proceed.
Do I have to delete the existing and start again, or am I missing something ?.
Any advice most welcome. Dave P..
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Stuck after Fatal CD Error

Post by mpack »

DOS installers did not come on a CD. That didn't happen until Win98SE era. DOS installs came on a stack of floppies.

Have you looked at your "CD" to see what it contains? Quite probably a bunch of floppy images, which you're supposed to unpack from the CD and mount in a floppy drive in the VM.
MothingMan

Post by MothingMan »

Thanks for the reply,
Originally that was quite correct, but bootable CD's are available, the one I tried was MS-DOS, I also have a PC-DOS disk, and good old Ebay has one for MS-DOS 6.22

I would like to try PC-DOS but the VirtualBox installer seems to have reached a point where it does not know what to do !!
Dave P..
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MothingMan wrote:but bootable CD's are available, the one I tried was MS-DOS, I also have a PC-DOS disk
That's not DOS. Or PC-DOS. That's a hacked DOS. Or PC-DOS. Heck, DOS couldn't even recognize a CD, you had to have special extensions (MSCDEX). And if it's a hacked <anything>, all bets are off.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MothingMan

Post by MothingMan »

Its VirtualBox that loads DOS from a CD, not DOS, as DOS is not on the system, I have installed DOS from a CD to an IBM machine no problem.
The problem is this : having had a fatal error ( possibly faulty CD ) there seems to be no way to step back and try again, or try another CD.
perhaps having to remove Virtual Box and reinstall to try again is the only way, but its a long way round what should be a simple problem.
Dave P..
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MothingMan wrote:perhaps having to remove Virtual Box and reinstall to try again is the only way
That would be as helpful as sacrificing a virgin goat on a full moon night.
The only way to work around a "no bootable media found" error is one and only one; provide a bootable media.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MothingMan

Post by MothingMan »

Hi, Perhaps I have not explained the problem clearly, following an error, probably a faulty DOS install disk, I have other New DOS install disks. But I cannot find a way to install from one. Opening VirtualBox and selecting DOS from the left plane. a window opens with the message "Missing operating system" this is expected. But I cannot get back to the section of the install, where the install media is located to select one. neither could I find a way to remove the virtual DOS and then recreate it again.
Dave P..
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I believe that you're referring to the "First Start Wizard" that appears the first time that you run a VM, ch. 1.8.1 of the user manual. If you scroll down a little bit further, on ch. 1.8.4, you'll find the answer for the "Devices" menu, or you can choose an ISO in the VM settings:

or