VPN via winxp client on ubuntu 16.04 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
robbyx
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

VPN via winxp client on ubuntu 16.04 host

Post by robbyx »

Firefox is not going through my host's vpn.
I found this advice and chose the last suggestion:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/419327/ ... connection

VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --natdnsproxy1 on

I exited from VB ran the command
VBoxManage modifyvm R-winxp-vb --natdnsproxy1 on

reloaded vb and the guest
checked my ip and it was not going through the vpn on the host.

Is the above command line out of date? Is there a suggestion you have to get the guest to go through the host's vpn?

R
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VPN via winxp client on ubuntu 16.04 host

Post by socratis »

robbyx wrote:I exited from VB ran the command "VBoxManage modifyvm R-winxp-vb --natdnsproxy1 on"
robbyx wrote:checked my ip and it was not going through the vpn on the host.
I'm not sure what you're expecting and what you're describing. I don't think that changing DNS behavior would change your IP, or where/how it's routed through. Did you read the manual on the related command? Ch. "9.11.5 Enabling DNS proxy in NAT mode"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
robbyx
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WinXP

Re: VPN via winxp client on ubuntu 16.04 host

Post by robbyx »

I was hoping that firefox running under winxp in a VM would show its ip address as that of the vpn connected to Ubuntu 16.04 host. As a bridged connection the ip was my ISP provider's address not that of the VPN ie it was not going through the vpn.

I have changed the network connection in VB settings from bridge to NAT. I now find that "what is my ip address" run from within xp shows the vpn ip address. This is what the link I quoted above indicates but they also said:
Network Address Translation (NAT) is by far the simplest solution. VirtualBox will NAT the VMs across whatever internet connection is available to the host. This is fully transparent to the VMs. However this precludes connections from the host to the VMs or connections between the VMs.
What surprises me is that I can both copy and paste from the VM to the host. I can also go into explorer and go to the mapped drives leading to the host from the VM. I understood from the quote above that I would not be able to do both actions if I used only NAT on the VM. What have I misunderstood or is it the command line
VBoxManage modifyvm R-winxp-vb --natdnsproxy1 on
together with the change of network adapter in the VB settings has enabled access between the host and the VM ?