shared IRQ workarround ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dellabosca

shared IRQ workarround ?

Post by dellabosca »

Iam trying to use IOMMU for the first time since i need a PCI card working on windows 98 for an old software. I have configured everything but the machine don't start, so i came to there is a shared interrupt for the PCI slot (with usb controller). After a lot of research i found out the are no motherboards on the market with a PCI slot not sharing IRQ with other device. So i am asking myself why there is such support if there is no capable hardware? is there any workarround to get this working? thanks in advance!
dellabosca

Re: shared IRQ workarround ?

Post by dellabosca »

none?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

dellabosca wrote:So i am asking myself why there is such support if there is no capable hardware?
If by "such support" you mean the PCI passthrough, it's not really supported, as in if you do it great. If not, not too much help will be coming your way. And by "no capable hardware" you mean no PCI boards that do not share interrupts? Maybe because that's what the PCI specification dictates?

I highly doubt that your PCI board that you want to share will work in Win98. Are there drivers for this device? Does your host fulfill all the requirements? As far as we know only one or two people have managed to get PCI passthrough working. Maybe you need to look at the problem from a different angle?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dellabosca

Post by dellabosca »

yes and no, "can be shared" doesn't mean it should be shared. I guess i should try qemu instead. Thanks anyway.