Windows Share not working over NAT / Binding network not working Debian 9

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Cade

Windows Share not working over NAT / Binding network not working Debian 9

Post by Cade »

So I am probably doing some unsupported things. But please take my word for it, they are necessary at this point (working on long term solution).

I have VMWare Esxi with a Debian 9 VM. Within that VM I have a VirtualBox VM of WIndows 10 x32. I cannot seem to get BINDING to network card to work within VIrtualbox so I gave up (assumed it was some issue with VM to VM). However NAT works fine. So now to use the VB VM I need to open windows shares. I used NAT to open up RDP and it worked great. However I cannot seem to get windows shares to work. I have turned the firewall completely off on my Win10 VM and enabled file sharing but I am still not having any luck.

So I would love any suggestions to either check NAT logs or something? Maybe these ports are being used by Debian for some reason?

Or does anyone have any tricks I could try to get Binding to work? Linux is not a strong point for me so try not to use big words ;p
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Share not working over NAT / Binding network not working Debian 9

Post by socratis »

Cade wrote:Within that VM I have a VirtualBox VM
Nested Virtualization is not supported yet.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cade

Post by Cade »

Yes thank you. I am aware. I was hoping someone might be able to point me to NAT logs or something. Somewhere where it would show me if it had trouble opening ports on the host
Last edited by socratis on 28. Feb 2018, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There are no NAT logs. But I'm not even sure if NAT would be the way to do it, NAT prevents any incoming packets. I would go with Bridged over Bridged, Promiscuous mode set to "Allow All".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cade

Post by Cade »

Bridged doesn't seem to be working. I have seen some people make some recommendations on the ESXI side, but that would open too many security issues for us. (Enabled Forged Macs, etc)

However regarding NAT, if anyone else is interested, I "resolved" the NAT issue by running virtualbox AS ROOT.

Probably not recommended unless you know what your doing, opens a number of security risks. But this works for my specific issue.