Autostart will not start multiple VM's on boot.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dtruesdale

Autostart will not start multiple VM's on boot.

Post by dtruesdale »

I have run in to an issue, running version 5.2 on Ubuntu 16.04. I can get it to start only one VM on boot by autostart. The second runs if we manually start it. I used the following :

1. Configuration files
/etc/default/virtualbox

sudo nano /etc/default/virtualbox then add:

VBOXAUTOSTART_DB=/etc/vbox
VBOXAUTOSTART_CONFIG=/etc/vbox/autostart.cfg

/etc/vbox/autostart.cfg

sudo nano /etc/vbox/autostart.cfg then add:

default_policy = deny
# Create an entry for each user allowed to use autostart
myusername = {
allow = true
}

sudo chgrp vboxusers /etc/vbox
sudo chmod 1775 /etc/vbox
Then, for each allowed username: sudo usermod -aG vboxusers USERNAME, then log out and in for it to apply.

2. Choose VMs to automatically start and stop

The first time a user configures autostart, the command: VBoxManage setproperty autostartdbpath /etc/vbox needs to be run.
Note: The autostart options are stored in the /etc/vbox file, and the VM itself. If moving the vm, the options may need to be set again.
VBoxManage modifyvm <uuid|vmname> --autostart-enabled <on|off>
You can also: VBoxManage modifyvm <uuid|vmname> --autostop-type <disabled|savestate|poweroff|acpishutdown>

3. Restart VirtualBox autostart service

sudo service vboxautostart-service restart

I have over the years done this multiple ways for varying OS's. I have even scripted a few. This looked straight forward. It only starts 1 VM and leaves the other off it shutsdown the 1 VM properly also.

Anyone have this working properly and did I miss something?
krzystar

Re: Autostart will not start multiple VM's on boot.

Post by krzystar »

I know that the thread it's a bit old but I've found a solution, so maybe it would be useful for someone...

I've just run into the same problem.
Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS with VirtualBox 5.2.10r122088.
When there are two or more machines marked to start during host boot then only the first one is being started.
I found that the startup procedure is using "vboxautostart-service.sh" script (located in my system in /usr/lib/virtualbox)

The startup method code:

Code: Select all

start() {
    [ -z "$VBOXAUTOSTART_DB" ] && exit 0
    [ -z "$VBOXAUTOSTART_CONFIG" ] && exit 0
    begin_msg "Starting VirtualBox VMs configured for autostart" console;
    vboxdrvrunning || {
        fail_msg "VirtualBox kernel module not loaded!"
        exit 0
    }
    PARAMS="--background --start --config $VBOXAUTOSTART_CONFIG"

# prevent inheriting this setting to VBoxSVC
    unset VBOX_RELEASE_LOG_DEST

for user in `ls $VBOXAUTOSTART_DB/*.start`
    do
        start_daemon `basename $user | sed -ne "s/\(.*\).start/\1/p"` $binary $PARAMS > /dev/null 2>&1
    done

return $RETVAL
}
The problem is in that line:

start_daemon `basename $user | sed -ne "s/\(.*\).start/\1/p"` $binary $PARAMS > /dev/null 2>&1
Output from "binary" (VBoxAutostart) is being redirected to /dev/null...even stderr, so that's the reason why we cannot found errors anywhere in VBox logs. Great...
So, I've replaced that /dev/null with some file and during startup I've got:
VBoxAutostart is already running
So, if I understand correctly, the VBoxAutostart is running (in background) for some time booting up the first VM. Somewhere there is a check which doesn't allow to run VBoxAutostart multiple times at once, but the for loop doesn't wait for VBoxAutostart to complete and invokes it again and again for remaining VMs.
Simply putting a sleep 10 right after the line with "start daemon" fixes the problem.

for user in `ls $VBOXAUTOSTART_DB/*.start`
    do
        sleep 10
    done
Not sure if that is a good solution, probably not, I would say it's a workaround but at least it works.

Is there any chance that it would be fixed in a right way?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It always gives me a smile when a new user/first post is about an advice, rather than a question ;)
krzystar wrote:Is there any chance that it would be fixed in a right way?
You could subscribe to the developer's mailing list, or go over to IRC at [url]irc://irc.freenode.net/#vbox-dev[/url] and send your improvements, or just point them to this post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xmnboy

Post by xmnboy »

@krzystar, the "right way" to deal with this problem appears to be by adding the "startup_delay" parameter in your "/etc/vbox/autostart.cfg" file. For example:

default_policy = deny
xmnboy = {
    allow = true
    startup_delay = 10
}
Where the value of startup_delay is seconds (in this example, ten seconds). The VBoxAutostart binary contains a copy of this string, so I assume it is using it to implement a delay between each invocation of itself, which appears to have the same effect as what you did in the script. Adding this startup_delay parameter to my autostart.cfg file fixed the problem for me. I would prefer that Oracle provided a solution that actually checked for the prior invocation of VBoxAutostart to be complete, depending on delays is always dicey and not an rugged solution.
fredcwBR-GO

Post by fredcwBR-GO »

I know this is a very , very old thread, but there is still the same issue.,

Wondering if there was a fix/workaround/solution ...
Did lookup a lot, and didn't find any.,

This still an issue., could any one point me in the right directions?-

tks in advance.,