Unable to start headless mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
satimis

Unable to start headless mode

Post by satimis »

Hi all,

Host - Ubuntu 16.04 desktop
VM - Ubuntu 16.04 desktop

VirtualBox Graphical User Interface
Version 5.2.2 r119230 (Qt5.6.1)

VBoxManage startvm MyVM --type headless

Always starts GUI unable to start headless mode (Terminal)

Please help. Thanks

Regards
satimis
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to start headless mode

Post by socratis »

That's... interesting? What you get when you run:
  • VBoxHeadless --startvm <uuid|name>
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
satimis

Post by satimis »

socratis wrote:That's... interesting? What you get when you run:
  • VBoxHeadless --startvm <uuid|name>
Hi,

⟫ VBoxHeadless --startvm ub1604dkpc1_06

Code: Select all

Oracle VM VirtualBox Headless Interface 5.2.2
(C) 2008-2017 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

VRDE server is listening on port 3389.
also GUI

I need to start the Terminal

Thanks

Regards
satimis
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Something is not right. First of all, you keep saying "Terminal". What do you mean? You're not supposed to see anything (from the VM) on the host, unless you connect to it with an RDP client. No "Terminal", no nothing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
satimis

Post by satimis »

socratis wrote:Something is not right. First of all, you keep saying "Terminal". What do you mean? You're not supposed to see anything (from the VM) on the host, unless you connect to it with an RDP client. No "Terminal", no nothing...
Something strange happens here. I can't resolve.

After having installed the Guest-Addition the menu-bar on the left disappears after login as User. I can't start the Terminal to check the problem or to reinstall the menu-bar.

I have tried 2 days including creating new VMs (Ubuntu 16.04 desktop). The menu-bar disappears after installing the Guest-Addition
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What does this have to do with the headless problem? Please stick to the topic, don't go all over the place. We *are* trying to understand why your VM doesn't start headless. The menu-bar has absolutely nothing to do with this. Neither the Guest Additions.

If your don't feel comfortable with your English, please either use a translation service, or post the message to your native language.