Xubuntu host 'no bootable medium' @ rawdisk vmdk file for normally bootable Windows 10 partition

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Narameh

Xubuntu host 'no bootable medium' @ rawdisk vmdk file for normally bootable Windows 10 partition

Post by Narameh »

Hello everyone :),

Model:Dell Inspiron 15 7548 
OS 1: Xubuntu 16.04.3 LTS 64-bits(HOST)
OS2: Windows 10 64-bits(Guest to be)
CPU: 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz)
RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2) (2GB set available for VM)
GPU1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 (in use)
GPU2: AMD Radeon R7 M270 4GB DDR3
HDD: 1TB 5.4k HDD [1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive]

GOAL: I am attempting to follow this tutorial: http://greenash.net.au/thoughts/2016/02 ... -on-linux/ to run my windows partition within VirtualBox under Xubuntu. My goal is to be able to run all my software and have access to all my data and be able to work with it while writing manuscripts using Microsoft office (for several collaboration purposes LibreOffice does not suffice at the moment).

PROBLEM: at step 10, I get the error ‘FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.’

Log:
temp_log_virtualbox.txt
log_virtualbox
(98.33 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Partition table:
partition_table
partition_table
partition_table.png (94.62 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Forum search:
I tried the solution offered in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65070&p=306692&hili ... um#p306692 but like the other two posters, no dice.

I also found the following topics with the same error, but the underlying problem appears quite different:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86314&p=411385&hili ... um#p411385
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78172&p=364212&hili ... um#p364212
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53431&p=245128&hili ... um#p245128

Other trouble shooting:
- I have tried creating the vmdk file with access to different partitions, from 5 (windows) only, to everything but the two linux partitions (7&8). The result is the same in all cases.
- I have tried turning EFI on, it just gets me an EFI shell.

The only other thing I can think of to mention is that a while ago Windows ran an Upgrade that killed GRUB. I could still boot Windows, but could no longer access my Linux partition. I fixed this by booting a linux live USB and running boot repair. Since that point, both Linux and Windows boot fine, BUT I have two Windows entires in my boot loader when I start my laptop that will give me an ‘unexpected end of file’ error. Is there any way in which I can point VirtualBox to the correct boot file for windows? The option that does boot windows just fine? I have the paths to both .efi files from my GRUB config file.

I have looked into trying to fix the incorrect boot entries for windows, but what I find on other forums is that you have to run a windows repair tool from a recovery partition, which will then break GRUB again, after which you have to rerun boot repair, which will then break Windows boot options again, etc. So that does not seem to be a viable solution.

Please note I have done my best to search the forums & research this online, in accordance with the posting rules, but I am not at all at home in this area. I would be extremely greatful if any responses could be in newbie terms. I have no problem educating myself, but please be as kind as to link me to explanations if you use jargon or abbreviations, so I can try and understand. I would rather not end up screwing up my system, as I use it every day, most of the day both for work and play. Many thanks!
Last edited by Narameh on 26. Feb 2018, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.
LokiFreya

Re: Xubuntu host 'no bootable medium' @ rawdisk vmdk file for normally bootable Windows 10 partition

Post by LokiFreya »

Hi Narameh,

I've got no help to offer other than to make almost exactly the same request for help as you. I'm trying nearly the same thing with the only difference being that I am working in Manjaro.

I can add some extra bits of information. In addition to everything you tried, I also attempted to follow the directions on these forums under the topic "Anyone have success booting Windows 10 raw partition as a guest in VirtualBox?" These instructions involved using the windows 10 mbr with the -mbr flag. I tried that, but with the same result ("no bootable medium"). However, there is a difference between my setup and the successful setup reported in that forum post: my OS's are both installed on the same physical hard drive while in that case they were on two separate drives. I have no idea if that matters!

So, any help would be appreciated and would help two users!

Thanks.
Narameh

Re: Xubuntu host 'no bootable medium' @ rawdisk vmdk file for normally bootable Windows 10 partition

Post by Narameh »

Many thanks for your kind response LokiFreya! If it is of interest, for me too, the two partitions are on the same physical harddrive. Let's hope someone has a solution for us!
Last edited by socratis on 26. Feb 2018, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Narameh wrote:Let's hope someone has a solution for us!
Most people will not give you advice on how to use the "rawdisk" feature. For a good reason. If you don't do it right/correctly, there's a danger of losing data, big time.

Plus, you never edited your post to "fix" the <redacted> parts...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Narameh

Post by Narameh »

You are absolutely right, it completely fled my mind. The links are now inserted. Thank you.

Sad to hear people will not give advice on this set-up, as it seems ideal to me. I understand that it's risky, but still. I would not be upset if my windows install broke, but I would be if it was my linux partition. Perhaps time to look into just installing a fresh windows install within my Linux install via virtualbox then. As this is all for work, I will have a chat with my IT department about this Wednesday, to see what they recommend. It was their idea initially I set it up like this.
Last edited by socratis on 26. Feb 2018, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Narameh wrote:Sad to hear people will not give advice on this set-up, as it seems ideal to me.
Our rationale is that this is clearly labeled as an "experts only" feature in the user manual. An expert needs no help from us, and anyone who does should not be using the feature. You have been warned (twice, if you include the warning in big red letters in the manual). On your own head be it: failure to recognize the danger can potentially result in the total corruption of any randomly selected drive on the host PC.
Narameh

Post by Narameh »

Fair enough. I'll feed that back to my IT support as well, then.