[Solved] Windows 10 hosted - first screen freezes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Etienne31

[Solved] Windows 10 hosted - first screen freezes

Post by Etienne31 »

Hi,

I've got an important problem. For my work, I need to run Windows 10 on Linux Ubuntu.

I then installed virtualbox and created a virtual machine. This was configured as the following:
Windows 10 64b
10.24 G RAM
8 cores
PAE/NX activated
128M video memory
Sata controller with .dvi storage and iso image (containing the Windows iso).

I then started the machine but all it displayed was the windows 10 logo and nothing else (no processing bar or circle). And yes, I configured well the booting. It just seems freezing. And even waiting for reaction does not change anything.
Help !
Last edited by Etienne31 on 22. Feb 2018, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: Windows 10 hosted - first screen freezes

Post by erdeslawe »

You haven't mentioned having actually run the Windows installer in the Virtual Machine you've created. Have you been through the Windows installation process? See VirtualBox Manual Section 1.8
Etienne31

Post by Etienne31 »

It seems I was not clear.

After created the empty VM, I was concerned to make it boot on the ISO file I had. Two options for that:
1. To run the VM which then asks you to give smth to boot on.
2. To virtually enter a CD containing the installation ISO and boot on that.

I chooses the second option by defining in the conf panel Storage>SATA controller>Optic reader with ISO (translated from french, then not sure about the English version). I also tunes the booting to be done on the ISO first.

I hope that was what you expected ...

PS : I tried also the second solution. Did not work either ...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Etienne31 wrote:10.24 G RAM
8 cores
That seems like a lot, but we can't know if we don't see a VBox.log. We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Etienne31

Post by Etienne31 »

Hi,

I first apologize, it was 4 cores and not 8.

I think I did it right. You can find the log attached.

Thanks.
Attachments
Windows10.log.zip
(19.52 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I didn't even read after the first line of the log:
VirtualBox VM 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 linux.amd64 (Nov  6 2017 17:41:59) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section.

If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Etienne31

Post by Etienne31 »

Ah, Ok !

That was that :D

I installed it using the Linux depository using apt-get install. That was not a release version ! It downloaded the last release and it works fine now.

Thank !!!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 hosted - first screen freezes

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. And thank you for marking it as [Solved]... ;)