[Solved] Signal Error 6 after upgrade (reinstall) - VMs will not load

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Techn0

[Solved] Signal Error 6 after upgrade (reinstall) - VMs will not load

Post by Techn0 »

I was running an old verison of virtualbox on Ubuntu Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, and none of the Windows 10 computers would connect with RDP. They added a fix for this issue to ext. packs, but didn't port it back as far as I was, so I decided to upgrade. Initial upgrade didn't work, had errors starting VMs. It only put me on 4.2.3 or something. Decided to purge everything and install 5.2 clean. Now, phpvirtualbox won't load (Could not connect to host). Not a big deal.

So, I try to start the VMs via command line and I get the following error on all VMs:

VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'Windows 7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 6
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

Any ideas?
Last edited by socratis on 18. Feb 2018, 09:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Techn0

Re: Signal Error 6 after upgrade

Post by Techn0 »

sudo dpkg -l | grep virtualbox

ii virtualbox-5.2 5.2.6-120293~Ubuntu~trusty amd64 Oracle VM VirtualBox
ii virtualbox-dkms 4.3.36-dfsg-1+deb8u1ubuntu1.14.04.1 all x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
Techn0

Re: Signal Error 6 after upgrade (reinstall) - VMs will not load

Post by Techn0 »

Figured it out. I had to recreate the autostart files, install the ext. pack, and I had to add --type headless to my startvm command.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Signal Error 6 after upgrade (reinstall) - VMs will not load

Post by socratis »

Hey, nice job there! Thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.