Critical Error booting 32 bit Ubuntu 17.10 with VT-x / AMD-v disabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jcollard

Critical Error booting 32 bit Ubuntu 17.10 with VT-x / AMD-v disabled

Post by jcollard »

I am able to launch the box and install from the minimal installation disc found here (32-bit PC (i386, x86) 17.10 link): help . ubuntu . com/ community / Installation / MinimalCD (sorry for the spaces, it won't allow me to post URLs)

The installation runs fine. However, upon rebooting I get a "Critical Error" message which locks all input to Gnome UI. I have to switch to a terminal (CTRL + ALT + F2) and kill the VirtualBox process to get control back to the UI.

The message says log files are created. I'm not sure which log file is related to the crash. However, I'm uploading the Logs directory.

If I enable VT-x / AMD-v, the system boots normally. However, I need to run the box on a machine that doesn't have VT-x available.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Logs.tar.gz
(67.89 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Critical Error booting 32 bit Ubuntu 17.10 with VT-x / AMD-v disabled

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.1.30_Ubuntu r118389 linux.amd64 (Oct 17 2017 06:50:29) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.

If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.

But even then, I'm not sure if that's going to solve your non-VT-x problem. Install the official VirtualBox to see if that's indeed the case and we'll take a 2nd look after that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jcollard

Post by jcollard »

Thanks for the response, I've gone ahead and installed the official release from the link provided.
VirtualBox VM 5.2.6 r120293 linux.amd64 (Jan 15 2018 15:33:35) release log
The same Critical Error message persists. However, my X Manager doesn't crash.

I've attached the new logs directory.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
Logs.tar.gz
(75.62 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jcollard wrote:However, my X Manager doesn't crash.
What's "X Manager"?
jcollard wrote:and install from the minimal installation disc found here
That was the first time. The second time you used a different distro with Vagrant on top. If you want us to compare apples-to-apples, you can't be changing 4 parameters between runs. It makes it into a much more complicated problem.

In any event, your problem (as you correctly have identified it from the beginning) is the lack of VT-x:
jcollard wrote:If I enable VT-x / AMD-v, the system boots normally. However, I need to run the box on a machine that doesn't have VT-x available.
Not sure what you could do. The latest incarnations of VirtualBox require more and more VT-x to be available. Maybe you need to find a specific, unsupported, older version that can handle your guest. And since you're going backwards in time, I wouldn't expect 17.10 Ubuntu to work.

I have an old 486 in the attic. I don't expect that it will be able to run Windows 2016 server...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.